Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tacking in high winds
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out this weekend on my 14, and I was having a heck of a time trying to tack. I've never had a problem before, and the only difference I can think of is that the winds were a little stronger than I usually sail in. Here's my setup:

Standard H14, traveler about 10" off center, sheeted in tight

Winds were 20-25 kts, seas 2-4 ft

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Marcus
H14
Narragansett bay

Post subject: Turning in high wind
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a lot of trouble too. What I have been doing is once I cross the wind, I stay on the same side I was on, grab the boom and pull it toward me as far as I can and throw the rudders the opposite way, and quickly back into the turn. I then move across and as I am moving, I sheet in the main and off I go. Not as fast as the good 14 sailors, but a hell of alot faster than sitting in irons for minutes. Remember to turn down and get a teeny bit of boat speed before you sheet in all the way.

Post subject: Tacking?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:46 am 
Site Admin

That's best when stuck in irons... back the boat down with the rudders reversed. Kinda like making a U turn on a narrow street.

In a blow or chop, plan the tack based on wave action too. I try to tack when I will be assisted by a wave to force me the rest of the way around. Be sure to sheet hard as you enter the tack and ease the sail several feet as you hit head-to-wind. Let the boat come all the way around and well off the wind on the next tack before sheeting again.

I tack on a wave peak so the next wave will drive the bows further around. Round up the face with some power and as the bows go over the top of the wave at about head-to-wind, you drop into the back side. As the next wave hits, it drives the boat firther through the tack. It is tricky in random chop!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great, thanks for the tips everyone. I think the main problem I have is that there are too many stinkin motor yachts running around the bay, kicking up all kinds of mean wake. But I have found that tacking on the peak of a wave works alot better.

Marcus
H14
Narragansett Bay

Post subject: Boat Chop
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing worse than boat chop, especially in light air.

Post subject: turbo jib wanted
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The tacking problems continue in the chop. The swells are so random at the mouth of the bay that I seem to get slammed by a wave and stopped everytime.

So my next question is... Does anyone out there have a Turbo jib that they don't want? Any condition at all, I work in a sail loft so I can repair alot of damage. However, my meak wages (and wife) prevent me from buying a new sail.

Let's make a deal

Marcus
H14 "Vieter"
Narragansett Bay

Post subject: Jib
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marcus- did you get a hold of the jib guy??
CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've found that if you sheet out the main just after you begin the tack it, it helps the winds catch it and bring it about.

Also remember not to turn the rudders so far that they create drag and slow you down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've decided to order a roller furling jib from Murrays, as they are about $250. but I think I will wait until winter, since they take 30-60 days anyway.

Here's another situation for you: I was out today and it was blowing 20-25 kts, seas 4-6 ft. I started a tack as I was heading up the face of a wave. as I came over the top of the wave, the wind caught under my tramp and made my hobie stand up on it's stern. And when I say stand up, I mean the maast tip was allmost in the water, and the bows were looking at the sky. I had to scramble and claw my way up onto the forward crossbar to keep it from going over backwards. Very scary!!

Marcus
H14
Narragansett Bay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the exact same problem I even got into the habbit of going forward when tacking in high winds, but after my old tramp finally gave way, I bought a black mesh tramp I don't have any problems like that now. :wink: