Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

I am missing the two bottom battens on my 5-batten main sail (I think Hobie cat calls this Batten 1, and Batten 2), the boat was just bought used and didnt come with them... They are the longest and second longest battens on the main sail. I cant seem to find a straight answer what lengths I should have these cut to. I read somewhere they should stick out 2 inches from the edge of the sail (I think this is called the leach).. My boat is 3 hours away and of course I forgot to lay the sail out and meaesure the width of the sail at batten 1 and batten 2.. I looked at the hobie parts catalogue but they are only listing batten lengths for the 6-batten sail, so I dont want to order two battens that are based on the 6-batten sail. My sail number is 15409 if that helps.

Can someone please provide an answer?

P.S. I capsized my boat this weekend for the first time, pitch-poled and I got thrown about 10 feet in front of the boat, lol. Within about 1 minute the boat started to turtle, and stopped almost short of total turtle. When I finally got the boat back up there was mud clumped onto the halyard :oops:, indicating the mast dug into the lakebottom. It took me (190 lbs) a solid 10 minutes to get the boat back up. I released the mainsheet from the cleat but for whatever reason my blocks are sticky and the sail wouldnt flop down into the water, so I could see the sail was acting as a scoop. Anyone have some advise on "loosening up" the blocks? I have the old-school 4:1 block that doest "s", instead its set up like a spiral pattern.. I think the only way I was able to get the boat back up was by using the excess halyard line and running it over the higher hull and leaning back on it, and also the wind pushing on the tramp helped as well. Everytime I moved BACK on the botom hull the boat wanted to roll backwards onto its ass, yet ive read that you are supposed to move back to get the boat back up easier. How does noone else have the problem of the boat wanting to roll from its side to its back??

Thanks.
Cdogg

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If no one knows if there is an official answer to this question, could someone be a great help and quickly measure their own battens on a 5-batten mainsail?

thanks in advance guys, I really need this help.. I'm sailing around with only the 3 top battens.