Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey gang -

I have a trailer technical question. Since the trailer carries my H14Turbo I thought that this was a logical place to start.

I believe that I have a wheel that's out of balance. I can't get the trailer above about 45mph without developing a really bad shimmy. At 55mph it feels like it's going to shake the boat right off the trailer.

How do you diagnose a wheel balance issue on a boat trailer? If I buy a complete wheel, are they prebalanced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Jack the trailer up on one side and spin the wheel by hand. You can check bearings and tread this way. It is common that the tire will have a flat spot if the trailer and boat were sitting for some time. This usually comes out as the tire warms, but start slow. Check the tire pressure as well.

They don't "balance" such small tires.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

get a spare tire/wheel from northern equipment or even wal mart remove tire and wheel from one side try it out if still a problem switch to other side sometimes I have seen water collect in tires when tire goes flat and then is pumped up in the spring you can check if you remove valve stem and turn this down at bottom you can hear water sometimes
A spare tire and wheel is a very good thing to have along with a spare bearing keep a tire plug kit in your hobie box
The above should work
to make very sure replace both the bearings and both the wheels and tires this should keep you on the road for several seasons in the sun
Gary
one hobie 14 1971
one hobie 16 1974
one hobie 21 1988
one hobie 14 turbo 1986
a bunch of hobie trailers and many miles
Gary hobie cat 21 se USA 415 Stars and Stripes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The obvious answer is to replace the wheels one at a time with a different wheel. You didn't say what size the wheel was, any tire shop can check the balance of any wheel 13" or larger. You could also check with the guys that install wheels on the atv's they may have an adapter for a smaller wheel. Most of our trailer tires are 8 or 12" It would take a hell of an imbalance to cause the trailer to shake that bad. (I am in the balancing business so I know only a tiny little bit about it). Sounds more like a bent wheel or destroyed wheel bearings.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys-
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my newby post! I appreciate the info.

I just measured and my rims are 9" and the diameter of the total tire assembly is 16". I'm going to try replacing one wheel at a time to see if that resolves the problem. If not, I will turn to the wheel bearings. Interestingly, the trailer is a galvanized LoadRite... one rim is galvanized metal, the other is powder coat white. The previous owner bought the trailer new and said that the shake has been there since day one. I think I'll try to replace the galvanized rim first. He said that I was just driving too fast. While I don't intend to fly with the boat in tow, I also don't feel safe crawling along in the right lane while traffic blows by me.

Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

buzzard wrote:
He said that I was just driving too fast. While I don't intend to fly with the boat in tow, I also don't feel safe crawling along in the right lane while traffic blows by me.

Thanks again!

While its not something to be proud of, I have had a Hobie on a trailer at 100 mph. Generally stick to about 70 mph.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You may have a wheel alignment issue. You could try turning the axle around to see if it makes a difference. I don't see the balance making it sway. Shake yes but not sway. You could try and measure the wheel alignment but you will have to be inventive.

cheers
Bill