Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i just resurrected a Hobie 14 from a pile of weeds. we have the boat fixed up pretty well, but it seems to have severe weather helm problems. when we sailed it for the first time, it seemed nearly impossible to tack, and once the wind picked up it was hard to head upwind at all without getting pulled into irons. once stuck in irons, it was extremely difficult to get out, sailing backwards, etc.

what changes to the rigging could i make to fix this. i am not talking about adding a jib for a turbo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

one thing you could do is rake the mast forward or what i do when im in irons is i push out on the boom until the wind starts puching you backwards and then you turn your rudder the opposite way that you want to go until you are facing the way you want to go and then sheet in fast and that works but you shouldnt have that much weather on the helm.. if it is no clipped down then it will pull so you should try toclip the rudders down if they arnt.
btw on the 2nd time out on mine while we wer in irons we finnaly caught the wind but in the wrong way so we went hard into a rock spit and chipped but it is fine now and now im really cautiouse. :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Make sure that the rudders are on their proper sides. The rudder arms should be canted towards the middle of the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

First and most basic thing:

Are the rudders locked down?

Pointing pretty much straight up and down, upper and lower castings mated together, cam latched over so you can't lift the tiller arms up with casual force?

Until you achieve that, no amount of fooling around with the rig or anything else will help. (OK, getting the rudders on the right side will, but you still need to get them locked down.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to add to what Matt and hobieokc said....... ( by the way, I had the same issues on my first maiden voyage of my H-14, ooops, rudders on wrong sides, sailed like a pig... :) ) Make sure your cams in the two rudders are in the up position, as they get old, they can stick to the down position, and you will never be able to lock your rudders down. Result, terrible weather helm. ( I been there too....). If so, my remedy is a large, flat head screw driver to carefully pry the cam open. Once you get all the steering issues worked out, it should sail like a charm.