Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand that for some folks it can be tough to spend the "extra" money on a Hobie tramp. I wouldn't expect ANY of the third party tramps will be usable in 20 years, and there are hundreds of hobie tramps that old and older still in use. Hobie tramps have an extensive track record of excellence, and to my mind the money would be very well spent. I had to buy a (Slo sails) tramp for my H21SE as my hobie dealer couldn't find a real hobie. It is nice, but I know it won't last like the real thing.

-Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hoping to resurrect this thread for a minute because it's something I am going to have to decide soon. A couple weeks ago a 3" rip appeared in the aft-starboard corner of my Hobie brand mesh tramp on my H16, running fore-aft along the seam about 3" in from each edge (in from the side and fore of the back edge). Another parallel tear of about 1-2" appeared from the back edge (at the rear lacing gap) along the bolt rope adjacent to the side rail. I suspect someone was walking or jumping on my boat (parked at the beach).

I bought this tramp from a Hobie dealer maybe 6-7 years ago. I love it. But the boat sits on the beach all summer. I also do not remove the tramp in winter, as the boat is stored covered in a barn. I lace it very tight, so tight you can't get anything in the halyard pocket, and that's the way I like it. Over the last 2 years or so the threads in the web seams has turned light color and is showing through the black mesh. It seems obvious it's UV damage to the threads. But the mesh seems good still. The grommets are still in place with no tears.

I had it repaired at a shoe repair shop by my house that has a big heavy duty sewing machine. He sewed something like luggage handle webbing over the big tear and glued and stitched along the bolt rope that goes in the side rail. I just hope it holds for a few months, then I'll be in the market this winter for a new tramp.

My OEM lasted 6-7 years. I see aftermarket tramps from places like Atomic that offer what looks like the same mesh fabric but with UV resistant thread. They are less than half the OEM price. In what way is the OEM made that makes it a superior choice? It looks like Hobie mesh tramps are about $550 now, wow. Everybody says their stuff is 'heavy duty'. So far the only differentiator I can find is UV resistant thread from Atomic. What should I be looking for, other than a brand name?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Minneapolis craigslist has someone who is parting out a h16 and the picture of the tramp looks pretty good and only $50

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

NeubaurRL wrote:
Minneapolis craigslist has someone who is parting out a h16 and the picture of the tramp looks pretty good and only $50
A Hobie 16 tramp will not fit on a 14.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wanted to share my experience with an aftermarket trampoline. I purchased an aftermarket trampoline for my Hobie Wave 4 years ago. I was replacing a very old Classic Wave trampoline with a Club Wave Trampoline. The aftermarket tramp had the same specifications for material, stitching, grommets, and re-enforcement as many aftermarket tramps. I had some issues with the lacing strip grommets though right away, and the tramp seemed more stretchy than what I remembered for stock Hobie trampolines.

About a year after installing the aftermarket tramp, I visited a Hobie dealer and looked at a Wave with a stock trampoline. The differences were stark. The stock tramp seemed so much more durable and rigid. The boat seemed very tight.

This year, I decided that I wanted an original Hobie trampoline, so I ordered it. Last night I weighed the aftermarket tramp with an accurate digital scale and it was 5.8 pounds. This tramp was always covered when not in use and the boat was never moored, so this would be the weight when new. I then weighed the Hobie tramp and it weighed 8.8 pounds. The Hobie tramp is superior in many ways.

I would never say there aren't good aftermarket tramps, but I don't believe that anyone else can heat weld the seems like Hobie can. I also doubt that industrial sewing machines can handle the Hobie tramp material. I would say that, you get what you pay for, holds true in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My buddy had a very similar experience with his Hobie brand mesh tramp - tearing at the aft seams after 6 years or so. I usually buy Hobie brand stuff, but I have been very happy with my aftermarket tramp so far, going on 6 years now and no signs of wear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need a replacement trampoline and I'm thinking about going to a canvas shop for a custom build because I'm looking for a special color and will likely as for mesh.

The feedback I would like as I upgraded from a Bravo to a H16 and I have not experienced the soft trampoline.

What special features should I think about if I have a trampoline made and are they worth it?

Here are some things that have come up in this forum:

Two pockets for the halyards.
Pocket for other items.
Twisted hiking straps that are easy to slip into.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know that this is a 6 year old thread from the dead but I'll chime in since people are posting here again. In my mind, that means that it's still a relevant topic. I went through this last year when the original tramp on the 1986 boat that I had just bought failed on maybe the third trip out. I had not intended to spend money on a new tramp right away because I had bought the boat without a sail and had just paid that expense. I also knew at the time that I would need to reseal the transoms and do a full tune/stiffening/bushing of the rudders (just finished that job this past weekend).

Anyway, I bit the bullet and spent the $600 for the genuine Hobie tramp and the only time that I was sorry I did was the moment that I clicked the "pay now" button. I know myself and I'm sure that I would have had buyer's remorse had I bought aftermarket. I'll spend the $12 a year for a small tarp to keep the tramp covered so that it will outlive me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw with my own eyes ... someone had used an actual (real) trampoline bed and installed it on a Hobie-16.

It was an ingenious way to for someone on a budget to replaced a tramp.

This person was able to get the trampoline bed nice and tight.

The front and rear fits into the groves on the front and back crossbars and the sides wrapped around the side bars and tied underneath the tramp tight.

The trampoline material had to be tough and made of mesh materials.

I'm sure you probably can buy a used trampoline bed and do the same. Just have to be creative on how to tie it tight.

Has anyone ever thought of or seen this done before? I was very impressed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cheap enough to buy real trampoline fabric...
https://www.trampolineproshop.com/trampoline-fabric.php

1978 Hobie 16