Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Jib Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having read now all 12 pages of posts, I'm still wondering if adding a jib from a H 16 or possibly a larger sail will cause my little 14 to "submarine" the leeward hull all the time. It took alot of my first season to get the mast rake figured out, and since I like the benefits that a jib will give me, I'm planning on making one up this winter. (Winters seem long here in Canada) I have made a "compression bar" to go between the front of the hulls , and attached the stays to it directly, so there is very little sideways pull on the hulls themselves. The result of doing this is that the forestays now pull both hulls up and have very dramatically reduced the tendency to pitchpole. It now seems that even with 2 people on board, the leeward hull stays up. Soooooooooo............ adding a jib, even if it has to be set up lower than usual, shouldn't affect the sideways pull on the hulls, but what about the tendency to push the leeward hull down?? I have a 90 sq. ft. sail from a "donor " boat I could use if it wouldn't too much downward pressure on the leeward hull. From what I've been able to find out the H16 jib is approx. 78 sq. ft. so not too much of a difference there. I realise it would require a bowsprit pole of some sort that will be attached to the compression bar,and then to the front crossbar to keep the sail out from the mast. Any ideas, thoughts, or concerns would be welcome!!

Post subject: Re: Another Jib Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Heavenbound,

Any pics of your modifications you can post would be most helpful. I have a 14 Turbo that had a tendency to pitch pole but with my rake adjusted further back I now have no problem with the leeward bow diving anymore.(not nearly as much) I sail in the Atlantic and Charleston Harbor mostly so I have the occasional large swell to contend with but surprisingly she rides the rough seas very well. I've seen some pictures on the whirlwind sails site of a couple of 14's with "hooter" sails attached to a long bowsprit. You might want to check with Chip Buck at whirlwind for some advice. :D Take care and have a Hobie day!

http://www.whirlwindsails.com/photos.htm

'83 Hobie 14 Turbo "Rio"
Blue Hawaii Sail #40954

Post subject: Re: Another Jib Question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the mast raking info. If you have a turbo and it's ok in the ocean, then a larger one on the small inland lake I sail on should be fine. As for the bowsprit your thoughts about the "hooter" sail are close to the sail I have in mind. I'll need to redo the stays of course, which are recommended anyway with an older boat ( it's a '77) so lots to do this winter!!WES