Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JIB HALYARD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all - after 9 months of reading through this forum and dreaming of finally owning a catamaran I picked one up on the weekend! It's an old Hobie 14 that has been converted to a Turbo through the addition of a slightly oversized jib with a zippered luff.

Now, excuse my ignorance - I have sailed before many years ago but tended not to pay any attention to the rigging bit!! :oops:

Have not had a chance to set the boat up yet, but cannot recall seeing a Jib Halyard. If the zippered luff just sits over the forestay, how do I get any tension in the Jib luff?? If there is no halyard, can I run a line from the head of the jib up through the forestay shackle at the mast tang and down to a cleat near the base of the mast? Is that pretty much how it works on a H16?

Thanks in advance and thanks for some wonderful reading over the last 9 months - have tricked the family into thinking I know more than I do!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a similar set up on my 14 Turbo, but I had the sail made custom for the rig.

Typically, you run a 14 uni with a loose rig. You tighten it up for the Turbo so you can run a tight forestay/jibstay, which allows you to point. The set-up you have is like the 18, so you need a reasonably tight rig. The halyard runs INSIDE the zipper and ties off somewhere at the bottom of the sail. I tie mine off on the shackle that holds the bottom of the sail to the bridle adjuster at the forestay. Some sails have a jam cleat, but they typically don't hold well and your jib sags. You want to tighten it so it is just takes the pressure off the forestay. That way, when you pull in on the blocks, it will stretch the sail and make the leading edge tight without putting the whole load of the rig on the sail.

Use a very small diameter line for the jib halyard, like less than 1/4.