Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bill Jeffers (2 time national champion), Mark Amico, myself and a couple others I know of are bringing our 14's to Canandaigua, NY on September 17th and 18th to practice for the Hobie 14 North Americans the following week.

The regatta is about an hour from Rochester, NY on Canandaigua Lake, one of the finger lakes in upstate NY. It's a very cool site, run from the Canandaigua Yacht Club:

It's hosted by Shark Fleet 1 and is run on a handicap basis.
Info is here: http://www.sailcyc.com/

Dust off that old 14 and come swim with the Sharks on the 17th and 18th!
(We don't care if you have a Comptip or not - we just want people to race against.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm planning on going to the NAs with two other boats, and we finally got enough comptips. I'm considering adding the new upgrades like the mast rotator and down haul, but not the outhaul. Are you guys making these mods??

I tried to order the new rotator, but they are backordered. I have an old style Hobie 18 rotator I plan on using, so I hope there are no protests over the absolutely correct part. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I don't think anybody has done the rotator mod yet, so it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

I think the rotator arms are identical btw the 14 and 18 (and the 17 and the 20) - nobody will give a damn unless you start winning races :wink:

I've got the new downhaul - most of the big guns in this part of the country have them on their 16's and they work really well. Problem on the 14 is that there's no crew to work them and they have a tendency to point the wrong way just when you want to adjust them.

I've got the outhaul, too, but since the outhaul on the 16 and 14 is there pretty much to keep the boom from sliding off, it's kinda worthless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm doing the rotator thing this afternoon, I'll let you know how it goes. I really can't use it a whole lot before the race because the other guys that I practice/race with won't have one, so it really isn't fair. I'm looking forward to the better down-wind sail shape.

I have had a 5:1 downhaul on the boat all summer, but mine swivels and I hear that is a no-no. I'll definitely switch to the class legal one for the North Americans. I think the whole idea of it not swiveling is that it is supposed to be easy to set, but once it is set, that's it. I personally would like to see the one with a swivel cam cleat on either side of the mast--now THAT would be some on-the-fly adjustments.

I'm with you on the outhaul, I really don't see the need. I usually just make it tight and tie it off.