Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello everyone,
I just received my H14T last week, everything is in parts and I have some difficulties understanding the full setup. Here are some information about it :
- according to the plate, it is a 73 model
- hulls, pylons, the whole trampoline thing is in good shape. No soft spot.
- mast needs a new mast tang, I removed the damaged one
- blades are ok and sails (jibe and main sail) are in perfect shape, almost like new, only one little repaired hole in the main.

The points I don't understand :
- there is no jib furler, all the documentation I've seen show this jib furler, is it missing, should I buy one or I can rig and use the boat without it (sounds like it is possible)
I have this thing for the jib, no idea how to use it, there is a piece of coton (sail?) stucked in it and the black parts can turn easily. Any hint on the way to use it correctly (explanation, picture...) as I went through pictures, documentation, pdf and found nothing which looks like this :
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8734/halyard.jpg

- there is a dolphin striker but nothing between the tip of it (there is a hole with a kind of pin) and the pylons. I don't even see a specific hole in the pylons if I need to have a wire between them > OK, found it, I need the wire and specific pylon bolts, it's on Murray's site. Issue solved.

- The rear crossbar looks like this, everything moves normally :
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6717/rearb.jpg

- I have everything and a total of 3 blocks, these ones in the picture. 2 will be used for the jib and it seems I still need 2 for the main so I need to buy one. Is it right ? :
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1381/blocks.jpg

I'll post pictures later today, it might help understanding.
Thanks for your support, this board is really helpful and I went through dozens of messages to learn on my boat...

Nicolas

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nicolas92 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I just received my H14T last week, everything is in parts and I have some difficulties understanding the full setup. Here are some information about it :
- according to the plate, it is a 73 model
- hulls, pylons, the whole trampoline thing is in good shape. No soft spot.
- mast needs a new mast tang, I removed the damaged one
- blades are ok and sails (jibe and main sail) are in perfect shape, almost like new, only one little repaired hole in the main.

The points I don't understand :
- there is no jib furler, all the documentation I've seen show this jib furler, is it missing, should I buy one or I can rig and use the boat without it (sounds like it is possible)
I have this thing for the jib, no idea how to use it, there is a piece of coton (sail?) stucked in it and the black parts can turn easily. Any hint on the way to use it correctly (explanation, picture...) as I went through pictures, documentation, pdf and found nothing which looks like this :
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8734/halyard.jpg

- there is a dolphin striker but nothing between the tip of it (there is a hole with a kind of pin) and the pylons. I don't even see a specific hole in the pylons if I need to have a wire between them > OK, found it, I need the wire and specific pylon bolts, it's on Murray's site. Issue solved.

- The rear crossbar looks like this, everything moves normally :
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6717/rearb.jpg

- I have everything and a total of 3 blocks, these ones in the picture. 2 will be used for the jib and it seems I still need 2 for the main so I need to buy one. Is it right ? :
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1381/blocks.jpg
I'll post pictures later today, it might help understanding.
Thanks for your support, this board is really helpful and I went through dozens of messages to learn on my boat...

Nicolas

The black barrel thingie allows for the jib to rotate while the upper part of the forstay does not. It could be that the sail has torn and needs some repair.
the cleat (on the rear crossbar) looks to be bolted on upside down.

yes, the 2 smaller (looking) blocks are for the jib. You will need a triple upper block and a double lower block w/ a becket (I believe) to add to the lower cleat for the main. I should be able to add a picture a bit later today.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The part in the first photo is an upper swivel for a furler. On the stock Turbo, there is no separate forestay. It's sewn into the sail and the upper swivel is attached to the top end of the wire. The bottom end is attached to the furler drum which also connects the bridle wires.

You may have a non-OEM Turbo with a different arrangement.

The second photo is a very old-style traveller car - used before the current roller bearing cars were allowed. You would be highly advised to get a new traveller car and cleat.

The third photo is your lower main block (left) and the two jib sheet blocks (center and right). Where the jib blocks go depends on what kind of jib you have - OEM or aftermarket.