Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End over
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my hobie out for it's 3rd outing yesterday. We were hit by a big gust when on run and went end over. Main was out to starboard and the port hull dug in first. I saw the big darkie coming and we moved as far back as possible but still went over, with my girlfriend getting trapped under the tramp ... fortunately she got out OK.

A passing speedboat threw me a line and I managed to get the boat back upright and sailing.

Is there anything I should have done ? Sheet in perhaps ? Gybe and turn into the wind ( we were too close to shore to turn to port. ) Would a mast tip float help getting un-turtled ?

Post subject: Re: End over
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TonyB wrote:
I took my hobie out for it's 3rd outing yesterday. We were hit by a big gust when on run and went end over. Main was out to starboard and the port hull dug in first. I saw the big darkie coming and we moved as far back as possible but still went over, with my girlfriend getting trapped under the tramp ... fortunately she got out OK.

A passing speedboat threw me a line and I managed to get the boat back upright and sailing.

Is there anything I should have done ? Sheet in perhaps ? Gybe and turn into the wind ( we were too close to shore to turn to port. ) Would a mast tip float help getting un-turtled ?

hmm if ur on a beat, and a gust is comin for u....sheet out gradually....move as close to the wind as possible...and for more "protection" let ur traveller out as well...

These are just general sailing things...if ur in a race...make use of the gust, to the best of ur abilities!:)

Post subject: What to do on a run
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure, no problem on a beat but what do I do on a run ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:15 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
when you say a run, are you talking about down wind? On a downwind run just turn down wind when the gust hits, we were out sailing yesterday on the H16 w/spin in about 15-20 and had a super time, when the gust hits turn down deep, then head back up once it has passed. The H14 tends to pith pole anyway, read the article on page 17 of the Nov-DEC Hobie Class news Magazine, I think just about everyone at this year Nationals went over.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, by a run, I mean we were sailing straight down wind when the gust hit ... mind you, it was a very big gust, full of whitecaps. There was no way we could have turned more down wind ... the wind was straight behind us. Would sheeting in have been the best approach to kill the power ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sunjammers how do you like the 16 with spi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:42 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
If you are already heading straight down wind then not sure what else you could have done, how far back is your mast raked, You want it all the way back this will help with the pitch poling issues

The H16 with a spin is awesome, we are helping the US sailing Youth team get ready for worlds. I highly recommend the spin for non class racing only, if you want to get more into this lets start another post on the 16 forum!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would travel IN to help in that situation. But truth is, the 14 loves to pitch and sometimes all you can do is look graceful when doing a 'superman'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks xanderwess. I assume you say travel IN because it's quicker than sheeting in ? Does the 14 pitch more than the wave, 16 or other cats ? It sounds like buying a mast float is a good idea ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hmm traveller in? i really thot that might give a flat area for the wind to catch and push the boat over...i know it depowers u..but in a gust situation..i always thot...get the boat as loose as possible, and ull slow the thing down, and the wind pick up wont kill u as much..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, when I put my 200 lb self on the rear cross bar and am heading straight down to mark and the boat is moving fast, and plowing, I decrease the aspect the wind has on the sail and it seems to work for me. I travel in as far as I can and sheet in too, that way, when I feel like I am under control again, I let her out again to max speed (and being under control) Works for me anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dead downwind is a very slow way to sail a Hobie. You'll go much faster if you gybe broad reach to broad reach. I generally run a milk jug up the mast with the head of the sail too, that keeps you from turtling. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right as far as most Hobies are considered, but on a 14 when you're racing, you want to go dead ass down wind. Come around A mark and go straight to C. They clocked be at 15mph on my 14 racing in the Halloween 14 regatta. Thats pretty fickin' fast on a 14. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: Dead downwind? Really? Wow. I stand corrected. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris has it right with the 14. Dead downwind. I didn't have to much trouble downwind in Rehobeth. It was blowin 25+ and I just let the sail out all the way and sat on the back cross bar. Rounding A was kinda cool trying to keep speed and get as deep as possible rounding the mark without pitchpoling. The problem is that you can gybe with about a 3 deg wind shift or if you look away from your course for a second. I think of the 14 like a VW van. Theres nothing in front of you while driving.