Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently purchased a 1988 14 turbo. After some minor repairs, I got it on the water this weekend. The boat is great, full factory turbo. It also has rigging to go classic 14.

I used to race with Fleet 4 in San Diego. I started on a 1977 14 in 1978 then purchased a 1979 16 in 1981. I was a casual racer, fleet races, San Diego Classic, Hurricane Gulch, Marina Del Rey. I do remember watching the premiere of Sharing the Wind and listening to Hobie Alter Jr. discuss rudder rake at fleet meetings. And I remember touring the Hobie Factory when it opened on a fleet field trip. Around the time of the comp tip, I faded out of racing.

It's exciting to be back on the water. After years on a 16, this 14 is touchy! It was blowing pretty good Sunday, 15-20. Single handed, I had the jib furled. I don't have a trap harness yet, but even if I did, no way I was getting out on the wire. I would have had to stand on the rudder. Solo I had the jib furled. With two adults, we ran the jib but were always on the brink of pitch poling. And I have never been in irons so often. I was rusty with the tacking for sure, even with the jib.

I definitely need to rake the mast more. The previous owner had the shrouds 2nd from the bottom and that was as low as I could go. There is plenty of room before going block to block on the main.

Is 14 racing in southern CA still alive? Will there be 14's at the San Diego Classic?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a few old guys still around. Wayne Schafer still sails occasionally.

A lot of people own more than one boat now. In some divisions, they'll have a "everybody bring their 14 to this regatta" regatta. We should have 20-25 14s at the North Americans in late June (Mississippi).

Most of the racing action in SoCal is 16s, F18s and a more casual 18 crowd. If you're into casual racing, the 18 is it.