Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I just bought a Hobie 14 turbo. I was looing at 16s, but as I single-hand most of time, the H14T seemed the way to go.

The boat came with a brand new trampoline that the previous owner never installed. I'm sitting at work thinking (perhaps obsessing) about it, and I'm concerned that it's a standard trmp without the eyelets to accomodate the jib blocks. If this is the case, how difficult is it to add teh eyelets? Has anyone upgraded a standard tramp before?

Thanks, and I'm sure there will be plenty more questions to come.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

MSey00 wrote:
The boat came with a brand new trampoline that the previous owner never installed.
If it's a Hobie brand tramp, then it does for sure. Maybe not on aftermarket tramps.

MSey00 wrote:
If this is the case, how difficult is it to add teh eyelets? Has anyone upgraded a standard tramp before?
The OEM grommet is sized (large) to accommodate the shackle on the jib block. You could live with something smaller and use a Spectra lashing from the jib block to the wire (which could also be Spectra) running transversely under the tramp.

Setting a small grommet manually with a hammer is not a big deal - you can buy kits at most any hardware store. Setting a grommet the size of the OEM one requires power equipment.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent info....thanks. The good news is that it is a Hobie tramp with the large grommets, the bad news is that there is no tramp lacing.

Do I need some sort of special line to lace up the tramp, or is this something I can pick up at Westmarine?

I would love to get this thing rigged and on the water this weekend if at all possible....after mother's day of course :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
Best thing is just do a search here on 'tramp lacing' or similar.
Do a little reading and become educated?
That's why I'm here... :D

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just relaced my tramp. I bought factory Hobie line. It was 1/4" low stretch white with black markings. Two 15 footers for each side of the rear. Mine is double grommeted down the center (3" o.c. grommets) so it took about 32 ft! But if your grommets are stock (6" o.c.) then 20 ft. will do. The manual says 19 ft.

West Marine should carry something similar. You want low stretch line. 3/16" 8 strand low stretch is a good second choice.

I've also heard of using 3mm Dyneema, but that is for someone else to comment on.

You want the tramp tight. I built a simple tool out of a piece of 18" wooden closet rod and a few bolts 2" apart. I used vice grips to hold the line.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I couldn't find much specific info in the forums about the particular line.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like to put a cargo strap across the boat, across the sidebars from left to right... crank it tight util the sidebars start to deflect inwards... then lace the tram up tight. With a partner, I take the lacing line, run through 1 or 2 holes, partner uses vice grips to crimp the line tight, then lace 2 more holes, pull super tight, crimp, repeat... make sure you pull "in line" with the direction of the next hole, not at an angle. when done, release the cargo strap. nothing fancy. enjoy!