Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What rudders do I have?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Boat is 1988 14 turbo. The rudders are black. They hum like crazy. They look nicer than the lexan ones I used to own on my 79 16 and they are not like the pre lexan ones that yellowed and turned brittle that my 77 14 had. But they are also not as nice as the foam core aftermarket ones I remember seeing back in the 80s.

I am fairly sure they are stock and original to the boat. They have some scratches and wear, but overall, they are in good shape. They have markings molded into them under the casting near the top of the blade, but I can't recall exactly what. They have never been redrilled, and the boat has minimal weather helm, almost neutral (but the mast needs to be raked a whole lot more). Doing the measurement for rudder rake, they sit at about 1" versus the recommended 1-5/8" to 1-3/4". They fit into the lower casting tightly, but are fairly loose in the upper casting. I have the newer adjustable castings.

The trailing edge looks and feels fine, but it must be blunt since they hum so much.

What are these made of? Is it typical to have to shape the trailing edge (still!?). If I want to fill some deep scratches, what should I use?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

All evidence is that they're original EPO rudders. Right time frame, right description, right physical characteristics - including the hum.

hobie88 wrote:
What are these made of? Is it typical to have to shape the trailing edge (still!?). If I want to fill some deep scratches, what should I use?
They are foam core epoxy fiberglass. Yes, it is typical to have to reshape the trailing edges. Be careful not to file into the foam core.

Scratches can filled with almost anything. Dings on the tips should be repaired with epoxy.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm betting they are the same ABS plastic I have on my 17. Nicer than the lexans, but still flex under load and quite a bit heavier than the epo's.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Black... original and hummm like crazy?

PCG maybe? Basically Lexan in black. The surface of the blade will look like swirling / flowing plastic.

Same trailing edge shaping required.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the diagram showing the high spot. I will try to get a good look at them in the daylight. I will try a sanding block first, see how that goes before breaking out the scissors! I might spray a little indicator coat on the trailing edge so I can see what I'm doing.

They are stiffer than lexan. I recall lexan blades being very flexible.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Lexan blades were pretty stiff. ABS was more flexible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Based on mmiller's post, I must have lexan. They are stiffer than my 80s ones which were probably ABS. They are not fiberglass.

Scissors worked great for trimming the trailing edge! They acted like a planer. I finished off with some wetsanding and finally a polish wax.

Did the lexan blades have any type of finish on them? I think the previous owner may have painted them. Also, knowing they are lexan, is there a preferred product for filling gouges?