Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm going to make my own standing rigging, and I'm looking for a source for 1/8" coated rigging like original. Some tell me that the H14 used 3/32" rigging, and some tell me 1/8". I'm looking for 1/8' because that's the smallest size my swaging tool will squeeze. Was the original rigging stainless?. What type stainless? Any ideas on a source for about 60 ft of coated 1/8" coated cable? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get a new set from saltydogmarine.com its like 90$.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobiesrock wrote:
Just get a new set from saltydogmarine.com its like 90$.
Word. If you don't have experience in making thimbled eyes in stainless wire rope - and making them the right length repeatedly, this job is best left to guys with the proper equipment to do it. The fact that you had to ask what the standing rigging was made of gives me a bad vibe.

The quality of this job bears directly on whether your mast stays up or falls down. Mast falling down is bad.

The original Hobie 14 standing rigging was 3/32", 316 stainless, 1x19, uncoated wire rope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Coated wire rope is tough to find. Most suppliers actually recommend against coating the wire because the coating holds in salt increasing corrosion and minimizing the ability to inspect the wire.

McMaster Carr and Loos both sell un-coated stainless steel wire rope in 1x19, 1/8", in 304 or 316 stainless steel. McMaster also sells coated stainless steel wire rope, but not in 1x19. The 304 is a little stronger, but I would probably only use it in non-coastal locations since it is less corrosion resistan than 316.

As others have said though, you're probably better off just buying a set of shrouds if you haven't done this before. The few bucks you save building your own rigging will be quickly forgotten when your mast comes down.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've done my own 5/32 stainless standing rigging on my V24 McGregor. It's a lot of work, especially since I don't have the fancy swaging tool, just the $50 model with two bolts to tighten on each piece. Thanks for the hint about Saltydog.com. I went the lazy route and ordered some this morning. Also thanks for the McMasterCarr lead. I checked out their stuff prior to writing to this forum. Fair winds