Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are quite a few discussions of righting a Hobie but I failed to find any specific installation tips.

I just got a line which is made from 1/2" hollow braid line with internal shockcord. I think it is exactly what Hobie.com sells as EASY RITE system. Mine came with no instructions but the seller said to just tie it to the rare pylons and run around front pylons. However, the Hobie catalog shows that the ends are tied to rudders (I guess the rudder pins) and shows metal rings as part of the kit. From the tiny pic in the catalog I guess that the rings are attached to dolphin striker bolts and the line runs through them.

So what is the optimal way to install this? I want it not just as the righting line but also as a safety line for crew/trapezing.

Post subject: Easy Rite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Easy Rite.

hobie.com does not sell Hobie boats, parts, kayaks or accessories. It is a Hobie trademark surf shop site. They have links to our site.

The line can be tied to the rear posts and go up and around the forwards. You can also pass the end under the rudder pin and tie a knot. I also have drilled a small hole in the deck lip back by the rudders, pass a short 3/16" or 1/4" line through and tie a knot then tie to the righting line.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, I meant hobiecat.com of course.

So you are basically saying that there is no preferred way. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I could not tie the line to pins, because there is not enough clearance between pins and body to get the line through without fighting and I did not want to drill holes in the decks, so I came up with another solution: I found at the sailing supplies store bolts with a loop instead of a normal head and put them through holes going through the upper rudder casting (cam stops) and tied the line to those loops. The holes are above the pins when cams are engaged, so this does not affect the steering, although it might not be the optimal setup for righting the boat. It works well for using the line for holding.

Post subject: what hole?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That sounds like a good idea... but which holes did you put it through?
Because if its the ones im thinking of, then when you right it your boats going to be spinning in circles as its coming up, because the rudders will be turned downward... Anyway, I don't like my righting system, so im wiling to give it a shot. at least until i install foot straps and stop pitchpoling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The hole is a passthru through the hollow pipe that works as cam stop (the part that engages the cam). I will test righting when my baby bob finally arrives (hopefully next week) and report then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It took a lot longer to get the baby bob than I anticipated, but I just got it and installed and tested righting with decent wind. It works as it is supposed to :D I could right H14 alone with no problem being around 140 lbs. There is no spinning. Even if the rudders were turned because of the pull (I forgot to look at that), once the Hobie gets upright, there is no more asym pull and the rudders position themselves from the boat motion. Actually, I think the way I have it, the strech cord adds extra stability for the rudders to stay straight without having any effect on the control.