Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up a decent (good hulls, tramp, mast, and rigging) H14 with trailer but no sails for $150. I would like to get her in the water ASAP, if anyone has a decent (or even needing slight repair) main I would appreciate it!

Quick question. Are the sail plans of the H14 & H16 close enough to exchange sails (besides the lack of jib obviously). My H14 came with a home made trapeze system, which I have yet to rig, and a dolphin striker already installed. I have sailed 16s before (about 10 years ago) and remember fondly trying furiously to pitchpole or capsize in light winds with friends. Finally I just wrestled them all off the boat while trying to sail the boat and then leaving them swimming for a few minutes as I circled and laughed. Very fun summers as a kid in France on the Hobies! Terrorizing the younger class sailing the bath tub optimists! oh what fun. Thanks guys, this seems like a wonderful source of info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can cut a 16 sail down to fit a 14, but you run into a few problems. You end up cutting the foot off right below the second batten and you lose all the belly of the sail. In addition, if you don't cut off a little of the trailing edge of the sail, you have to use a 16 boom because the new foot is just a little longer than a 14 boom. I have come across a few sails that were cut down and I really wasn't happy with their performance.

I know it may be hard to get a good used 14 main, but you would be better off and it would probably cost you the same to get a 16 main cut down.