Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 frustrations
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

1.Is there any way to rig the jib on a 14 Turbo that it doesn't catch on you main sail halyard cleat when you tack.
2.Can anyone please tell me how to install a roller furler for the jib, so that one can roll up the jib when out on the water. I have purchased a new one and it has no spring loading or ratchet. How does it work?
Please Help.

Hobie 14 Turbo
Hobie 16 '82 Nationals Yellow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Move the cleat.
My roller furling has no spring or ratchet. To unfurl, uncleat the furling line and pull on the jib sheet. To furl, uncleat jib sheets and pull on furling line. You can wind up the furling line by unshackling the jib sheets from the clew and rolling up the jib.
gh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For #1, my trick is to simply wind a little excess line from the main halyard around the cleat before tying it off and coiling the rest. This increases windage, but removes much of the exposed "point" that otherwise catches the jib sheet or jib itself when tacking. I only have issues with it nowadays during high winds or when tacking too fast. Otherwise I can just give a quick "slap" to the lines to free them.

Yes, I believe my furler is 100% OEM, and has no spring or ratchet as a modern day one would. You simply are pulling the sail out with the sheets, which rolls up the line, and then pulling the sail in with the furling line which rolls up the sail. Make sure to prewind a few turns during rigging or else the furling line will not be able to pull the sail in tightly enough due to the sail naturally releasing tension and expanding when off the trailer. Just think of the furling drum as a spool to wrap the line on and the forestay as the axle that rotates, and its pretty straightforward.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think modern roller furlers have springs. They simply don't need them. Some have electric motors to furl the jib but wind is what normally unfurls them or a jib sheet in light wind.

The wind unfurls the sails, which is what coils the furler line up around the furler drum. You then pull on the furler line which unwinds the line out of the drum and it will refurl the jib.

If the wind is very light and it won't unfurl with wind alone, then simply pull on a jib sheet and it will unfurl the sail easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jmecky wrote:
I don't think modern roller furlers have springs. They simply don't need them. Some have electric motors to furl the jib but wind is what normally unfurls them or a jib sheet in light wind.

I just checked and you're right. I figured that since my only experience with furlers was a 1996 era and a 1983 era, the modern ones would be more complex. Realistically they just seem to have much better bearings, and sometimes a slight recoil mechanism, but nothing that actually works to wind them up. And electric motors are cheating. Thats like replacing grinders with motors on yachts... :)

Great, I'm only a few years out of college, and already going off about "back in my day"..... :lol: :lol: