Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: She is home
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a few other posts on here but in general i am new. I just brought my new (to me) H14T home. I only paided $450 for her because the guy had no clue what it was worth. It is an 86 and has a few minor things wrong but in general she is in great shape. Both sails are perfect and the trailor looks like it might have been used once or twice.
I feel like I stole this boat.
I think I will be headed out to Lake Hefner in OKC Wed. I have sailed some smaller stuff but never a cat. I am interested to see how it goes.
Wish me luck!!!!!

Post subject: Need help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have everything figured out on the rigging except the jib, it has a furler and I just cannot for the life of me figure it out. If anyone out there has some pictures they could email me or give a really good describtion of please I would appreciate the help.

email: [email protected]
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Furler
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Furler question? How it works? When the sail is furled the drum is nearly empty. When you pull on the sheets to unfurl the jib, the spinning action rolls the line into the drum. Best to preload the drum before stepping the mast so when the jib is attached, the drum is full. Pull on the line and it furls the jib.

What else?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had almost figured it out just by looking at it but I like to know that I was doing it right.
Another question, my rudders when in place seem to toe inward on both sides. Is this normal or is something wrong. It seems like that will hurt performance quite a bit. I noticed that the bar running between them bows forward but I didn't know if it was supposed to.

Once agains thanks for the help, I am taking it out tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If they toe in alot, you most likely have them on the wrong sides. Switch them with each other and try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Toeing inward is a good thing but not to much. With the boat on the trailer and the rudders system in place, lock both rudders in the down or sailing position. Next, there should be some screws under the crossbar ends; loosen them. Take the tiller yoke on the crossbar and align it with the middle of the boat. Tap in or out on each of the crossbar sides until the rudders seem even. At 12" down from the bottom of the lower rudder casting, measure the across front edge of the rudders and then take a measurement across the back of the rudders in the same place. The front measurement should be 1/8" smaller than the rear. Tighten the screws.

Bob :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone for the help, I had them turned around, I switched them and all is great now.
I took the boat out for the first time this morning!!!
Wow, I had sailed on a sunfish quite a bit but this is a different experience. There was a little more wind out this morning that I wanted but that was okay, I think this boat has a rocket attached to the back end.
Everything went great until I made the dump mistake of not getting my head low enough as I came around. The boom went boom on my head, but there is no permanent damage to the boat or me so we are good.
I did manage to turn it over once but I just followed the steps that I have seen listed on here a thousand times and it came right back over.

If I need any other help I know where to come!