Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I just purchased a beautiful 1976 hobie 14 turbo. The yellow vinyl tramp looks to be in great condition - only problem is the grommets are corroded and green and many are cracking. Any recommendations? The tramp is currently not set up with the extra grommets that came in the 80's so I know i could add more in between the old ones, should I replace the old ones? mix them in with new ones and lace between everything? install new grommets in the spaces on only use those? what do you guys think?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Solved: (almost) Turns out the 1976 hobie vinyl tramp doesn't use spur grommets. this means they can be pulled out with minimal damage to tramp. I used a pair of needle nose to pry away the rolled inside edge and they pretty much fell apart. I have ordered 84 new spur grommets 1/2 inch (#4) and will install them in the previous holes as well as double the holes across the bottom of the center tramps and the stern piece. This also allowed me to take off the hiking straps - install grommets in those and tie them down instead of having them sewn on. now i can adjust tension and replace them easier. I added a grommet in the middle of the tramp on each side in the old reinforced section which I will use to tie the hiking strap in the center. After i went through with clear seam grip tape and sealed over the previous threading holes on the topside of the tramp. I will use their tube product to seal the bottom. The new grommets and kit cost me $68. the seam repair stuff cost $9. This is much cheaper than a new tramp and looks great. This thing is gonna be solid as can be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Great!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)