Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW TO THE HOBIE WORLD
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all,
I am new to the whole Hobie experience, and thought I'd make my first post here on this great forum. When my partents first got married they bought a 78 Hobie 14 and sailed all the time, once they had me and my sister ( twins) they never used it again, it was well taken care of though, so at thte begining of this summer I forced my Dad to take it out, we put it all together and launched it, as soon as that wind filled the sail I was in love, I thought it was the best thing in the world, since then I have been reading practicing checking sites and the more I sail the more I love it. It is just awesome, if there is annyone in the northeast PA area that is on here let me know. If anyone has any advice for a new sailor feel free to post away I'd appreciate it!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am somewhat new also but I will give you some advice that I, in my short time with my Hobie have learned.

1. Don't sail beyond you limits, I know that you want to fly a hull the first time you are out but just take it easy and have fun. Push the limits but don't cross them.

2. Know how to right your boat, it sounds so easy when you read about righting it but the first time that you roll over and need to right things get tougher. What I did, was went out on a nearly windless day and praticed. Now I can go from turtled to sailing again in less than three minutes.

3. THe 14T is a great boat, but it has limits, don't overload it with people. With one person the hull jumps out of the water, with 2 it is possible but not easy. With three people... well just avoid putting three people on the 14 unless they are very small people. The boat would handle it but you would get passed by dead fish with three people.

4. Make a tool kit, nothing big, just pliers, extra pins and other little stuff. I have two knives on the boat and one in the tool box. They are indespensible. Also the pliers are very important.

5.ASK QUESTIONS ON HERE, there are alot of very knowledgable people on this site and the are always willing to help. I have found two people from this site that I have met at the lake so it can also be used to make connections.

6. THE MOST IMPORTANT, HAVE FUN!!!!