Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I fell off my Hobie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Muz wrote:
Talking to a bloke here that runs a marine radio course and he was saying that these radios are line of sight and wouldn't be the best if you were bobbing about in the water. Does that sound right?

2-3 miles "line of sight" is far more likely to get you rescued than just bobbing around yelling. : ) There are usually other boats in or near the area where I sail. In the US all sizable boats (supposedly) and the US Coast guard monitor channel 16 so there's a reasonable chance a MAYDAY call will attract someone's attention.

There's always a Personal Locator Beacon if your really want to be safe. Those get pricey, but they may get you help most effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Muz,
Something I think has been missed here and likely the most sound advice is to simply sail with others. You will never be able to cover all the 'what if' scenarios with beach cat sailing.
Last year I started a social Hobie sailing group here in South East Queensland. We often sail @ Wivenhoe Dam or out in Moreton Bay and try to gather as many boats as we can each time. Membership is free and we have members who sail H14, H16 and H18. It's a great social way to learn how to sail (as many of us are still learning) and practice techniques like righting your cat.
Recently a H16 snapped a tiller cross bar rendering the boat unsteerable. If it wasn't for the other members sailing at the same time they would have had their cat washed into Peel Island against the mangroves.

The only downside is that this group is found on facebook so you will need a facebook account. If you don't have one I'm sure your 11 year will. https://www.facebook.com/groups/474123539363235/

I've also posted pictures from our sailing adventures here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49784

Hope to talk with you soon,
Cheers Matt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks GD. ("Line of sight" meant something different in my mind.)

Matt that sounds great. I've signed up to your website and I'll get the "minister for war and finance" to login to facebook so I can check out your page. (I'm not facebook compliant.)

I think after all of this advice that I'll buy the waterproof radio, a whistle and keep practising and teaching the boys how to sail it and what to do if one of us falls off. (And sail with others.)

I appreciate everyone's help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Muz when you sail I groups there's no need for whistles and radios. I mean they can't hurt but several of us carry mobile phones for emergency's and we also register with VMR (Volunteer Marine Rescue) before sailing. That way 'if' you were not to return they would launch a search party for you or when you need them you can call. VMR are located off Victoria Point boat ramp and also RabyBay which is super convenient when sailing in the bay.

We did have an incident where a member sailed solo with his H14 and had issues righting his cat. But we were able to use another member crewed on another Hobie to help him right. I'll keep my eye out for when you join on facebook.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Muz wrote:
Talking to a bloke here that runs a marine radio course and he was saying that these radios are line of sight and wouldn't be the best if you were bobbing about in the water. Does that sound right?
To a certain extent, he's right - height=range on VHF. However, even at the water's surface, you should get at least several miles range on a handheld (make sure it's set to high power). The rescue agencies (Coast Guard) tend to have antennas on towers and "enhanced" receive/transmit capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spend a little more and get one with GPS. Calling for help when you can't give your position won't do you much good. If you sail in a lake probably no big deal. If you sail in open water could mean life or death.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I were going to play in the ocean i would have a radio with GPS for sure...

For the first time last year I watched my boat sail away from me. Playing around racing a buddy and was in and out on the wire in moderate but gusty conditions.. One of the times I kicked out apparently I had came unhooked and the boat sailed away... It beat up wind just like described here.. slow enough you thought you might catch it... but fast enough you couldn't.. With a buddy (solo) on a H16 on an inland lake I was never in serious trouble... but still... Should I have been offshore.. That could have been a bad deal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunvista wrote:
Spend a little more and get one with GPS. Calling for help when you can't give your position won't do you much good. If you sail in a lake probably no big deal. If you sail in open water could mean life or death.

That's a good point. I listened to a Coast Guard communication with a sinking boat once on Lake Michigan. I could hear the Coasties but not the boat - the boat was too far away, but the Coasties have a big antenna. The sinking vessel didn't know their location, and couldn't even tell the Coasties if they (the vessel) had headed north or south when they left Milwaukee harbor!
(In retrospect, I should have called the Coasties with my position and told them I could not hear the vessel, so they could have eliminated 1 location...)

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Long time no hear but finally got organised and got one of these.

http://www.imds.com.au/uniden-6w-handhe ... igh-power/

Of course much cheaper in the US but with postage out here only marginally cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handheld-F ... B00AU5XROG

Cheers