Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have a extra dolphin striker and trapeze wires for a H14.

Thanks Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you dont want to order the trap wires from Hobie itself (which is really the best bet, because it is such a key thing when youre sailing) then you can always just get a crimping set, since its useful to have in general, or alternatively since theyre not structurally part of the standing rigging, you could make them at west marine for pretty cheap.

Dolphin striker-wise, I made one for the Tuna out of one from a 16's front crossbar that i got for free, with just a die and tap (i forget the dimensions), and a drill and hand riveter of course. It was actually alot easier than youd expect. One was on eBay about 3 months ago as well.

Good luck, Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, the Hobie 17 dolphin striker (which I hear is a favorite choice for adaptation to the Hobie 14) is on sale at salty dog Marine for only 32 dollars. Here is the link http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_i ... cts_id=394

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow this is really bringing back a thread from the dead. but that is good information.

I might buy one just in case...and yeah I currently have a H17 adaptation on. came with her a year ago.

Post subject: 17 striker?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Never heard this before...

The 17 striker system is VERY different. This would require a newer Wave mast base in addition to possibly a striker rod that would fit the 14.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Matt - the length of the 17's striker rod is the same as the 14's. All you need to do is put the bend in the last 4" to slide through the castings.

As for the post, you just need to trim off about 1 1/2" of the threaded end and it works prefectly with a new 16 mast step. The only tricky part is getting the hole in the front crossbar lined up right.

I've done this adaptation on my 14 and you can't tell the difference between it and the OEM dolphin striker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So in order to adapt the dolphin striker from a 17 to a 14 you need also to replace the mast step of the 14 with one from a 16? Is that correct? I also need to put a dolphin striker on my 14, and I couldn't find a kit for the 14 so I want to adapt one form a 17.

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:08 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The stock H14 mast step does not have a threaded hole in the bottom to accept the dolphin striker post. You could drill/tap a hole, but the newest version of the H16 step is far superior to the old H14 step (much beefier rotation stops, mast chip keeper). It's much easier to just get a new step.

I'll stress that the H17 to H14 adaptation is not a "bolt it on and go" process. You need to be pretty handy in order to do it.

If you're not as confident of your metal-working abilities, I'd suggest just getting the aftermarket dolphin striker kit that rivets on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I will just get the kit from Murrays. Do I need a rivet gun or does it come with it, I have never done rivets before (i.e. "not confident in my metal working abilities").

Now does drilling a hole for the dolphin striker post weaken the front crossbar at all? And how easy is it to install the new H16 step on the 14? Is it allowed by class rules too?

Thanks again!

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Do I need a rivet gun?

Yes. Murray's will be happy to sell you one. It does not come with the kit.

Quote:
Now does drilling a hole for the dolphin striker post weaken the front crossbar at all?

If it were just a hole, then yes. However, the hole is filled up with a stainless steel rod (the dolphin striker post), so in reality, no.

Quote:
how easy is it to install the new H16 step on the 14?

Very easy, but as I mentioned above, the stock 14 mast step does not have a hole in the bottom for the dolphin striker post. The 16's mast step does. You'd have to fill up the hole with epoxy in order to get the 16's step to work if you didn't have the OEM dolphin striker on the 14.

Quote:
Is it allowed by class rules too?

Yes.