Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed 16's for years but recently aquired a 14 for my younger boys to sail. Its a 1979 white hulls with red racing strips and a marvelous 80's color scheme sail of hot pink, baby blue, and neon yellow. Of course its the classic story of the boat sitting around on someones sideyard for the past 15 years, rotting away with good intentions. . . . anyhow, the hulls are pretty good (one soft spot that I can re-epoxy), rigging ok, and sail excellent but the tramp has rotted away. The price was okay, so even needing a tramp I figured I could make it work. I had some heavy duty vinyl material and saw some instructions on how to sew/make your own tramp. They sure made it look easy, but after starting the project it is apparent that I am not very handy with a sewing machine and my wife is worried I am going to break her machine (not an unlikely scenario) so I think I am going to have to find a real tramp which probably is for the better. I can envision my homemade tramp ripping out on the lake and the boys falling thru as the hobie sails away.
So I'm looking for a economical trampoline. I have read all the posts on the subject and get that there are lots of opionions. I don't want to go "cheap" but $ is an issue. So I just thought I would see if anyone has a "used" Hobie 14 trampoline stuffed away in there boathouse or garage that still has a few years of life left in it. So. . .. if you have a trampoline that is still in okay shape and not being used, please drop me an email and we can talk. Thanks [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie factory is still the best tramp going! If you want non factory, try SLO sail and canvas. A few years back when I was marginally employed and pennies were scarce, I bought one of their tramps for my 16 and have gotten good service from it. When I replace it though, I'll go with the Hobie tramp.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Tampa Catamarans too. I had a Hobie 16 tramp from them for a couple years and it was still like new when I sold it. Again, you likely won't beat the Hobie quality but for the money there are some good aftermarket options.