Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought an old Hobie 14 in excellent condition for next to nothing so I feel bad grumbling. Sailed a Hobie Wave on vacation and the tiller was easy to use with just a cross bar connecting the two tiller arms.
The Hobie 14 comes with an extension arm so that the tiller cross piece sits behind the main sheet mechanism (hope this makes sense). Does anyone know/had experience changing the tiller arms and cross piece, on an old Hobie 14, so can sail without the annoying tiller extension? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's the nature of the beast, and there's no real practical solution that I know of.

The Wave is unusual in that the tiller crossbar is in front of the main sheet (on some versions). Almost every other catamaran has the crossbar behind the sheet with a tiller extension. It works on a Wave because a Wave doesn't have a traveler system.

The 14 sails best with your weight as far forward as possible and to do that, you need the tiller extension. The tiller extension also allows you to trapeze.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. Guess I'll have to get used to flipping the extension around main sheet gear.
Interesting that it sails best with weight forward (that became obvious very quickly) but you need to move to the back to flip tiller extension. Hopefully figure out a method before to long.