Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, first time poster long time reader here. The reason I am posting is that I recently purchased a Hobie Cat and after I got it home I noticed the frame for the trampoline was bent. I just bought a new trampoline for it but I need to get this taken care of before relacing the new tramp. Not sure this happened during transport or if it was already like that. Anyways I've enclosed a picture to give everyone and idea of what I am talking about. The bent side is the right side. My question is, is there a way to repair this? Maybe take it to a metal shop and see if it can be fixed? Thank you for any help, it is appreciated.Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think you'd be able to straighten it. A used replacement from a 14 or one from a 16 shortened to length with the shroud connector plate added would be the best bet.
I had a pair of 16 side rails mailed to me once, if you can't find parts locally.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you cpnsoo.

I will keep an eye out on craigslist for any Hobies offered for parts and see what I can get.

Rod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, replacing is your best option. If you can't find a H14 side bar, you should be able to use one from a H16 or even a H14 or H16 boom as they are all the same extrusion, however you would need to do some modification to get any of these options to work.

If you did try to straighten it, you would want to backup the side bar with some type of internal reinforcement, either a heavy walled aluminum tube or a sturdy piece of wood cut to fit closely inside the extrusion. This might be a good temporary fix while you source a new side bar.

sm