Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I have been planning for quite sometime to enter the Watertribe Everglades Challenge, which is an expedition style race. I'm really not entering it to win, I just want to enjoy the trip. The question is, will it be doable with a H14? I am 275lbs (124kg), thats not counting gear. I think I might sink the damn thing. I've seen them do it with a Hobie numerous times but maybe it was the 16? Will the 16 even support this trip?

Help and thank you.

Rod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

RodRamos wrote:
The question is, will it be doable with a H14? I am 275lbs (124kg), thats not counting gear. I think I might sink the damn thing.
No and probably (sink the damn thing).

Optimum racing weight for the 14 is around 150 lbs. 275 lbs + the gear required for this race = submarine. Even a 16 would be a stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What style of Hobie would I need for the Everglades Challenge? And something me my wife and my 8 year old can enjoy without sinking?

Rod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RodRamos wrote:
What style of Hobie would I need for the Everglades Challenge? And something me my wife and my 8 year old can enjoy without sinking?

Any Hobie but the 14 will support your weight. I think the 14 is marginal with my 200 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crud, I might have to sell that 14 and get a 16 now? lol Hobie dancing chairs. Shame on me for not doing the proper research. Funds are short, if I could get a project Hobie Getaway for a few hundred I would be so happy as I understand they carry lots of weight but alas, I will have to make a 16 work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:51 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

RodRamos wrote:
Crud, I might have to sell that 14 and get a 16 now? lol Hobie dancing chairs. Shame on me for not doing the proper research. Funds are short, if I could get a project Hobie Getaway for a few hundred I would be so happy as I understand they carry lots of weight but alas, I will have to make a 16 work.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a "project Getaway." They haven't been around that long and they are all but indestructible.

But a Getaway is what you need.

Even a 16 is a stretch for you. You could carry 10 lbs and race at class-legal minimum weight by yourself.

Since you're on a budget, I'd recommend a Hobie 18 - it can carry more weight than a 16, is more-or-less bulletproof, and if you're lucky, you can find a nice one for under $3,000.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

From what I read on their website, that's a pretty serious event with quite a bit of requirement equipment. I wonder what a typical budget needs to be to do it safely?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The safety gear recommended by the water tribe is the minimum for a safe expedition and you cannot participate unless you comply. This is an area where I have already made a big investment, and have acquired most of the gear required by the water tribe and added some I thought would complement the expedition. I am only missing a few odds and ends and of course a expedition-worthy boat. I am watching craigslist like a hawk and if anyone comes across a listing for a Hobie 18 for less than $1000 (doubt that might even be posible) please send me a PM.

Rod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went head and sold the H14 and bought an H18. the H18 is in slightly better shape than the H14 but did cost a bit more, however I am happier with the H18.
Now I have some small soft spots to fix and some sanding, painting to do and Ill be all set.

Thank you everyone for guiding me through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reading these replies to weight on Hobie is making me laugh a bit, as this summer a friend bought a Turbo 14 and him (6'3"215lbs) and myself (6'200lbs) have frequently ventured out, and even throwing on our other friend (5'9"155lbs). Are we breaking water speed records? No, but we're getting out there that's for sure. It's all in fun when the crew is out, but solo sailing it is much better!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

DrLivingston wrote:
Reading these replies to weight on Hobie is making me laugh a bit, as this summer a friend bought a Turbo 14 and him (6'3"215lbs) and myself (6'200lbs) have frequently ventured out, and even throwing on our other friend (5'9"155lbs). Are we breaking water speed records? No, but we're getting out there that's for sure. It's all in fun when the crew is out, but solo sailing it is much better!

At 570 lbs, you're overloading the boat and just asking it to break.