Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Hobie 14 owner
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I have never owned anything with a sail before. Actually. . . I have never owned anything with a hull before.
A few years back I went to Mexico and had a lot of fun on a Hobie Wave.

The other day I was perusing Craigslist, and saw a Hobie 14 for $400. I checked it out, and appearing to be in nice shape, I picked it up for a grand total of $360. Everything seems to be ok. The sail looked like it was in good shape w/ no patches or mold and only 1 batten that appears to have come untied and poked a hole on each side of the pocket. It was missing 2 or 3 batten caps. Hull seemed good all around although it just a smidge soft on the port side in front of the tramp. Trampoline is in good original shape. Rudders seemed to be in good shape and the cams didnt seem to be worn out (to my untrained eye). The rigging equipment (dont ask me what that's called) looked good. Mast was straight and corrosion free.
So now it's on a trailer in my yard (I live on a 200 acre lake so I can use it regularly), and lacking the time to ask the previous owner how to rig it, I have no idea how to set it up to get going.
Can anybody point me to any tutorials for setting the rigging up?

Are there any big gotchas I should know about w/ the 14s? [ Aside from pitchpoling that is. I've seen plenty videos of that. ]
Or just "good to know" tips?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Hobie 14 owner
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The HobieU pamphlet is a good resource for sailing a catamaran. The Hobie guides on rigging and installation are authoritative. There are a few on YouTube.

My experience on a 14 turbo helped me tremendously in tacking. The saying goes "if you can tack a Hobie 14, ..." If you are under 200 lbs. it should be a blast. You will need a wetsuit if sailing when the water temp is below 70F.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ignore the stuff about the jib, but this Hobie 16 rigging video helped me when I was first learning to rig my 14. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-wsiRu4_PAhVKx2MKHVjaDukQtwIIKzAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjxctIJVOAd0&usg=AFQjCNFy-TKEYgKANWAbHq-9NmhIn0mWoQ&sig2=3yzfZQ_QSnjILKBt42j-dw&bvm=bv.132479545,d.cGc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look up my i14T post on kyak for sale here on the forum and look at the pictures. I had to figure it out all by myself but I think I nailed it. I'm especially proud of the pulleys and cleat I rigged for the main sheet rope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hezi wrote:
Look up my i14T post on kyak for sale here on the forum and look at the pictures. I had to figure it out all by myself but I think I nailed it. I'm especially proud of the pulleys and cleat I rigged for the main sheet rope.
You're confusing the i14T Hobie Kayak with the original Hobie 14 catamaran.
This is what we're talking about in this forum:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

And I was so proud of myself for figuring out 4 ropes....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the rigging video suggestion. Never sailed, never owned a hobie until now. There were useful tips shown that help a newbie understand.