Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 Rudder Repair
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I bought my first Hobie 14 and I am looking to restore the rudders first since they need much love. Ive seen people use epoxy but has anyone done this before with good lasting results? I want to sand them, repair the jagged edges using epoxy (?) and then sand the whole thing smooth again and paint it/seal it. I know not to go too thick or it wont fit back in the cam.

What epoxy to use? I have Loctite Heavy Duty. Will this work to fill in the jagged edges? I know folks here love West System but is it that much better?
Help!

FishBones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started the sanding process. Using a random orbital sander 80 grit to start. Thinking I need to go to 60 or even 40 as its taking a while, than work my way down to 220. Still don't know what I am going to use to fill in the edges with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They look like lexan rudders. If so, then epoxy isn't going to adhere to them with any lasting results. There's not much you can do. I would just use a file to clean up any jagged spots on the leading edges or down at the tips. The damage at the trailing edges isn't going to make a huge difference.

Save up your money and keep an eye out on ebay for a pair of EPO or fiberglass rudders - they are much better. Also watch out when sailing an old set of rudders like that. If they've sat out in the sun and gotten a lot of UV damage, they may snap off in high winds.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I haven't seen Lexan rudders chip like that - they may be ABS plastic that the original 14 rudders were made from (prior to ~ 1977). If they are - they're old and brittle. There's a good chance that they'll unexpectedly break off right below the rudder casting when you're sailing.

I agree with srm's recommendations. These rudders are not worth spending a whole lot of time on. Clean up the chips with a rasp / file to remove sharp edges and "corners". Keep your eyes peeled for a replacement set - preferably EPOs.

Last edited by MBounds on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you everyone. This just adds on to the fact that my Hobie 14 is falling apart. I have since decided to sell it and put the money towards a Hobie Pro Angler 14.

Thank you everyone for the help.

FB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also if anyone needs any parts for a Hobie 14 around New Port Richey / Clearwater area let me know, I might part it out.