Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everybody
I have sailed hobiecats since I was 8 when my father bought a Hobie 14 (non Turbo). I've been owning a Hobie 18 and lots (lots) of spare parts that I accumulated since I was 16.
My daughter turned 9 and I decided to buy her the same boat I sailed when I was her age.

So I bought a 1984 Hobie 14 (non turbo) in very good shape.
I would like to convert it to Turbo for two reasons: to make it easier for her to tack the boat, and to allow her older brother to sail with friends, and also for myself.

I plan on using an old H18 jib that got just ripped in the lower panel to make a jib that already has a zipper, and furler, pigtail, swivel, halyard block, halyard and lower forestay that I have as double spare from my H18 to make a jib rigging system that should resemble as much as possible that of the H18.
I also understand that I'll have to cut the bridles. By how much? Considering that I won't cut the H18 pigtail and will use th H18 swivel and halyard block how long should the forestay be?
If any of you has suggestions, measurements, informations that could help me avoid mistakes, please let me know.

But first I have install the dolphin striker. Two questions:

1 How do I measure if the front crossbar has flattened in all these years of use without D.Stricker? I plan on trying to give it back its original curvature (is it possible? advisable? will i risk breaking the crossbar?)
2 which kind of dolphin striker do you suggest? the original Turbo alluminum one with the wire or the H16 style with the stainless steel post and rod?

In the first case I can just buy the kit (90/100 e) and install it.
In the second case can I adapt the spare post and rod from the H18? I imagine i should drill the crossbar and thread the mast step and shorten and re-thread the rod.
Again any suggestion and past experience you can share with me will help me very much.
Also if you have measurements in metric system it would even be better, but I can make the conversion myself.

Cheers from Italy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok I see that no one answered. I'll reduce it to 3 simple questions:

1 - How should a h14 turbo forestay measure if I set it up like a hobie18 and use h14 bridles?
2 - Or: what is the lenght if the internal forestay of the h14T jib?
3 - What are the measurements of a h14T Jib?

I hope it's easier to answer it this way...

Leone