Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own a 80's 16 and a mid 90's 20 but I just finished a 1000 mile round trip to buy a hobie 14. Owner for the past 24 years says its a 1971. Have the title for the boat and trailer. I know a ton about hobie 16's and 20 from many years of sailing but have no experience with a VERY early 70's standard H14.
It has no modern traveler... a jam cleat at both ends of the traveler with a small line to set the travel. The sail is a McKibbin. No sail numbers but has the Hobie Logo. The boat has black fiberglass rudders and the OEM '71 yellow vinyl tramp in great condition ( covered and stored in a garage over the winters.... Illinois ) The main is also solid yellow but is now a 500 TC bed sheet.
Bought the boat very cheap ~ at $250 w trailer plus another $150ish to get it. Needs lotsa elbow grease. Only got it to help the local boy scouts and new guys have a catamaran to sit on as they love our fleet and Hobies and want to learn all about it. Should I try to restore it to stock? Update it to more modern improvements? drop $500 bucks and make it super nice? Or just get it operational and sell it off for cost to a local kid?
I've been building Hobie fleet 134 for the last 6 years and have gone from 2 boats to 15 by making it fun, buying, fixing up relics and selling for cheap. We all have older boats but are working hard to invigorate the youths....especially when they are on mono's as they watch us fly by on one hull! I need a bit of expert help when it comes to pre-80's Hobies. Want it to be safe and fun yet not have to charge $1000+ to break even on a old 14.
Thanks you guys!!!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First things first, same as any other old Hobie, check the hulls for soft spots before you put another dime into it. On a 45 year old Hobie, unless it has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 years, I'd say there's a good chance there is some delamination. Inspect it closely. If there are small spots, repair them first. If there are big spots, the next journey for this boat is likely the dumpster.

Next step, check rigging. If it's old or damaged, you will want to replace it.

After that, it's a matter of upgrades, and you can pretty much take that as far as your credit card will allow. I'd start with the traveler system. The old double-ended V-Jam system is horrendous and you will want to upgrade to the modern traveler system. Then mainsheet systems, sails, rudders, tramp...you get the idea.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The guy I bought it from kept it covered when not in use and mentioned it was in his barn for over 10 years. The oem tramp has no tears or anything and the boat is solid except one small spot on port hull on deck only. It's a freshwater boat, no corrosion at all. Are the traveler items the same as on a 16? I do have lots of spare 16 parts and blocks. Going to call salty dog marine and get all new standing rigging. I believe the wires are shorter on the pre- 80's boats?

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Main traveler car and cleat would be the same as a 16, so you can make the swap if you have the parts. I'm not sure if there were any rigging changes from the 70s thru thee 80s. I'd also like to know if there are.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are some parts that will fit right on a 14 from a 16. For one, rudders with lower castings. Traveler cars must be pre 93 to work. The cleat just has to be added to the rear cross rail. Rigging has changed a little so you can rake the mast more for racing.