Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 square top main
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Gang , I recently purchased a square top Main ( super R ) from Chip at whirlwind, It may have been a little impetuous as I really don't know how I am going to attach it to my boom , Chip assured Me it shouldent be that difficult and many have already done so , but as the delivery date nears I'm still wondering about the details of attaching my new Main which doesent slip in to the boom like a classic 16 sail should , Has anybody in here done this ? Or does anyone have any pictures you could share of a good way to rig this ? Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It may not really matter, but your subject line indicates we're discussing a H16 while this is the H14 forum.

I'd first seek further explanation from Chip. I expect that the sail would have to be specifically designed and reinforced in certain areas in order to be rigged loose-footed or boomless.

You may also want to do some searching for Dan Berger's posts (and maybe pix) over on thebeachcats.com forums. He ran a tricked out H14 w/squaretop for a while.

For future reference, when you get this resolved please let us know it works. Thanks and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mahalo for your feedback ,,, not really sure how to get this to post on the 16 forum , but point well taken , I did talk to Chip though and actually there is a over sized clew that actually does slide in to the boom , while the foot remains free and the tack is attached much like that of an 18' , a few details to work out but once I have the Sail I think it's going to be awesome , thanks again for your feedback.