Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Folks,

This is really just a saying hello, and to ask really if a Hobie 14 turbo is a suitable boat to learn to sail in?
Just thought I would shout up as I have been restoring a Hobie 14 turbo that was given to me about two years ago, and it's finally ready to be sailed. I have taken it out on the water once before, part way through and discovered several more things that needed to be completed.
When it arrived it had an unregistered trailer that I have pulled apart and rebuilt, and now has ACT rego. It came with two mains, and a jib with a roller furler, two trapeze wires and the general rigging. I have had to replace a lot of the metal work, and fabricate a bracket (gudgeon??) for the rudder assembly (which was falling apart) and generally give the boat a good clean and lube.
Not too sure on the correct terms.

I am an adult male tipping the scales at 90kg dry, not sure if I am over the limit for a 14, I have heard differing opinions on their limits.
When I had it out on Lake Burley Griffin it was a bit of a rocket in a straight line (to the point of being a little scary) and then I spent about 40 minutes unable to get out of irons, and had a tow back in. It seems tacking the 14 is an issue according to the number of threads on tacking I can find on various forums. I am considering trying to find a trade for something like a laser that is easier to sail and I can learn on, before getting something that requires more technique to sail.

Sailing is going to be a casual thing for me, so is it the best thing to learn on, or am I best selling a functional boat and looking for a similar age laser (or similar) to learn on. A friend has a laser and we are planning on going sailing this weekend so I can give it a try and he can try the Hobie and see if he can give me some advice. Clearly getting in touch with my local sailing org should be on my list, but that is something that I haven't done yet, mainly because I am trying to keep the hobbie cheap and casual.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions, and advice on the best way to move forwards from here.

Regards,

Cup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You need to keep your speed up when tacking especially on a 14 without a jib. With the jib you can let it pull the bows across before moving it to the other side.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep the 14. Go sail it. As time goes on you'll get it figured out. In terms of bang for the buck enjoyment it may be surpassed only by the 16.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I kinda thought there night be a bias towards sailing the hobie.

So..my next question is; if I do keep how do I step the mast by myself, it's pretty heavy and kinda long. Is there an approved technique for it or does everyone have their own method. I can envisage rigging up a pulley system through the Jib cleats, round the trailer or something along those lines.

What works for you?

regards,

Cup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pin the mast into the mast base. You can set the mast on the rear crossmember although this is much easier if you have a ladder or tripod, etc., to see the mast on so that it is already a bit elevated. Run the main halyard to the forward trailer mast post, through a pulley and then back through a jib cleat. Ease the mast up as you haul on the halyard. It's not really very hard.

Or buy a gin pole and make it even easier on yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You'll need the mast step hinge to connect the mast to the base. I just have an eye bolt on the trailer mast support, no need for a pulley. I run a line with an s hook connected to an extra pin on the forestay adjuster, thru the eyebolt, and back up to me. Lift the mast as far back as possible, near the rear frame. Your boat should be on the level, or with the bows low. When you lift the mast up, it'll drop into place easier that way. Then just tie off the line on one of the mast cleats, til you get it all connected. At least this is the way I do it on my 16. The mast on the 16 is much heavier.
I have to become more familiar with the turbo 14, as I have one I'm restoring. It may be a bit different with the furler and forestay in the jib, for attaching the line and making the connections.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmm, I have watched videos of using this mast pin to secure the mast to the mast base. Mine does not have one of those on it. If I try it by myself it just skips out of the mast base. I can either lift it up or hold it in place, maybe a winch would do it. Did the older ones come with out a mast pin, or has mine been changed?

Cheers,

Cup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Original Hobie 14s did not have a mast hinge. You can put the mast base on the ground between the hulls, stand on the tramp and raise the mast, and then dead lift the mast straight up and into the mast step. Then pin the forestay. Or, if you have a helper, have them hold and guide the mast base into the step as you raise the mast. A lot of guys still use this method today.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keep the Hobie 14 Turbo. You can learn on it and will blow past a Laser like it's standing still. You can leave the jib furled if you want to get the hang of it first. And 90 kg/200 lbs is not too much weight at all. I grew up sailing a 14 Turbo and regularly sailed with 300+ pounds with me and passenger. You have to learn to keep the weight distributed to the stern though.

Some tips about coming about and getting "in irons". First, get up some speed before you come about and turn quickly. Second, after you come about, leave the jib set on the windward side; it will help push your bow across the wind. (Called "backwinding"). If it doesn't happen quickly, remember the wind is now pushing you backwards so reverse the rudder like backing up a car.

Lastly, once you get the hang of the boat, you can try a jibe instead of coming about. In a jibe, you turn the stern across the direction of the wind rather than the bow. You have to be very careful to control the boom in a jibe as it will come whipping across very quickly and can knock you out if you're not careful. Try it in light winds and use the sheet rope to control the boom all the way across. You will not get in irons once you learn how to jibe. Stick with it, I wish I still had my 14 Turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just want to echo and agree with what everyone else has said so far. I learned how to sail on a 14 turbo but granted had my dad to teach me who sailed 18s since before I was born.

This video might help with mast raising: the 14 mast really isn't all that heavy with a little practice and a few bench presses once in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxctIJV ... R5u6ySBcNw

Good luck to you!

'82 H14 Turbo #38674 Red/Gold
'85 H18 #13222 Nationals White (Prism)