Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snapped front crossbar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New forum user here! At the end of last summer I bought a "restored" Hobie 14 it looked in great shape I've done some reading on here and ended up replacing most of the rudder assembly, doing a tramp repair, and there is still a lot more work to do (and parts to buy) before I would consider the boat "restored".

Anyways, this weekend was the first time I've been able to take her out on big water. All was well until we got to the bottom of a big swell and the front crossbar snapped in half... so here are my questions: Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Does anyone know of somewhere that would ship that front crossbar to Canada? My local Hobie retailer said it's going to be $600 or $700 and its $325 in the states so even with shipping and everything it might be cheaper to order. Also, any other suggestions for solutions would be hugely appreciated.

Here is a photo from right after it the crossbar broke in case youre interested. Notice the "oh poop" faces...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah7epzJD4l21bzYsYAbDUIOaJLo

Note: The weird rigging from the crossbar to the front stay was to tension the shrouds because they were too long (stretched out and old) in retrospect the crossbar might not have liked that too much.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,

So sorry to see that. I am pretty certain you can find a used H14 cross bar if you look a bit. Plenty of folks on this forum know of boats being parted out. Also check out and/or post on the Catamaran Parts forum at www.thebeachcats.com.

Looking at the damage, a dolphin striker would add extra strength to your new cross bar and keep that from happening again. Hobie makes a part, that is essentially the same as that on the H16. You can also get one from Murrays Marine that uses wire vs. a rigid rod, but does the same. These parts are essential for a H14 turbo where trapezing puts additional stress on the front cross bar via the mast.

Good luck!!

2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
1991 H14T
2006 Bravo (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt...here is the part from Murray's. I am sure you can find the Hobie version as well.

https://www.murrays.com/product/01-2083/

2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
1991 H14T
2006 Bravo (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I happen to have a front cross member from a 83 turbo, with the stainless rod. It's faded, whereas yours has been painted. The mast step would need replacing or welding as the hinge is torn out on one side. I had good luck with a 16 step that I had welded, it was removed to do it. One thing I've noticed when swapping frames is that the holes in the pylons don't line up. I'd expect the same with rivets into the corner castings. The rigging on a standard 14 is supposed to be a bit sloppy. So the extra tension you had on it may have been a curse. In the photo, it appears that one hull was stressed where the pylon goes into it, so you should check the hulls over where the pylons go into them. With the frame snapped there is some twisting on the hulls.
I'm located near Milwaukee WI. Not sure about how you'd go about shipping this.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a front crossbar with the mast mount. I'm in New Hampshire. Please contact me to see what we can work out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've already sent him the turbo crossbar assembly, so he should update when it's ready to go.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I haven't had much time to post let alone make the repair as I am back at school now. (summer only lasts so long)
Anyways, many thanks to cpnsoo who was able to ship me the crossbar from his h14 turbo and it fits on my existing frame beautifully!
I took a look at the hulls and pylons and the front pylons appear to have some hairline stress cracks around them. I guess next season I will have to sand off the paint around the pylons to check out if the glass is holding together. Looks like it might be a big job from what I've been reading in other posts on the forum.... I'm sure there will be more question to come.

To everyone who responded, thanks for your help it is much appreciated!!