Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 14 that I bought and do not have a title or the year of the boat, but want to apply for a title. I bought it from someone who had it sitting in their back yard for about 25 years. I repainted it, put a new trampoline on it, and replaced any rigging that needed to be replaced. The sail was stored indoors with sail number 52118 and it has no serial numbers on the transom. The only serial number it has is on the front of the trampoline with #45-1001. From research I have already done, it could be a very early model and possible one of the first. I have pictures for proof. It also has the dolphin striker, but no jib. Can anyone tell me if it is one of the first Hobies or what year it is?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

On pre-1973 boats, the serial number was stamped into the front pylons, but not in the format you mentioned. It's typically a simple 4-digit number. Without any photos, it's really hard to tell anything.

An original, early Hobie 14 would not have a dolphin striker, unless it was installed later.