Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently pulled my father's Hobie Cat 14 out of mothballs last year and have been upgrading/using it recently. Prior, it hadn't been used for over 20 years, maybe more. With each upgrade, the boat performs better; new tramp, dolphin striker, trapeze.

Been having some issues with the rudders and decided to investigate (not locking down well, raising/lowering a chore sometimes). After reading on the forums and watching some videos, I'm in the process of "re-conditioning" my rudder system (cams, springs, screws, plungers, tightening spacers, tiller connectors etc...).

I noticed though, that the Upper Rudder castings on my boat do not have a Cam Stop Plate or the opening at the top of the casting to install one. I also noticed on the underside of the casting, what appears to be a pin or bar, up inside, across the opening. Was wondering if that serves the same function as the Plate. Was also wondering if I should just replace the castings with newer ones that have plates, or if that was necessary.

Is this an indicator of when the boat was made? Don't have any documentation as to the original owner and/or year. Just curious, I suppose.

Being back on the water again takes me back to all the sailing I did as youth. Love It!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the pin in the upper casting serves the same function as the stop plate. The original rudder casting design did not have the stop plate which was introduced somewhere in the early/mid-80's. The stop plate allows the rudder rake to be easily adjusted by loosening the retaining bolt, sliding the plate, and re-tightening the bolt. For older rudder systems with the pin in the upper casting, the only way to adjust rudder rake is by filling and re-drilling the holes in the rudders themselves.

If your helm/rudder rake is good, then there's no need to upgrade to the newer casting system.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. Everything is coming along nicely. Have reconditioned just about everything so System is nice and smooth and the sloppiness greatly reduced. Just waiting for pin bushings to arrive.