Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting the hulls
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I considering buying a HB14 (non turbo) for $775, including a trailer, but the hulls have been painted yellow. Is that normal? I am concerned that there has been major repairs to the hulls and that the paint is covering it up. I commented from the pics that the hulls look great but too good considering how old the boat must be. Does $775 seem reasonable for HB14 with everything working?

I had a 14 about 30 years ago. I am 59 years old and thought it would be great to bring back old memories.

Post subject: Re: Painting the hulls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As for the price, I bought a 14 turbo early this year on a trailer for $225.00 It needed a good cleaning but that was it to sail it.
I have seen a few in my area for ~ $500 that haven't sold so it really depends on where you are.

I wouldn't be too worried about it having been painted as long as it was done well.
I ended up doing some fiberglass to the bottom of mine later in the season and it is pretty easy to do.

After sailing a turbo you probably wouldn't want to sail it without a jib.

Where are you located? I am considering selling my 14 as I bought a 16 this year and love it.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

Post subject: Re: Painting the hulls
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How do you know the boat was painted and not just well taken care of (Hobie did make yellow hulled boats for a while)?

Even if it was painted, that does not necessarily mean the paint is covering up damage. It’s possible that the hulls had faded and the owner just decided to paint them. Either way, the most important thing to do is to thoroughly check the hulls (in person) for soft spots. Press firmly all over the hulls and decks (especially in front of the pylons) to see if there are any soft areas. If there are, it’s generally best to look for another boat.

sm