Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Tang problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone.
So last year I bought a lovely Hobie 14 (standard) - no jib (1983) . And have been doing it up and getting the hang of tacking with the one sail. I have had the rig "Bob Curry loose " - sailing off Brighton Uk is always fun and there's always quite a bit of wind chop. Yesterday I decided to tighten the rig a bit and so put the forestay one hole down and the shrouds too (not over excessive) didn't have time to sail it after but checked on it this morning on the way into work and one of the bow tangs had come up off its screws ( by about half a cm) - Its the type where there are 4 screws going into the hull , unlike the 16 with just one bolt on the front of the lip that's easy to tighten from underneath
I tried tightening them and they don't 'lock" and it just needs finger strength to pull them out again. I presume they would have pulled out on the water eventually anyway.

so .... how do I fix them ?! I can't think of any other way than making a hole in the hull and replacing the screws/bolts?

Any suggestion hugely appreciated
best
Stig

Post subject: Re: Bow Tang problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never done this repair, but, if the backing plate is still there, this suggestion is to drill/tap and install a H16 tang and bolt: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22195&p=210546&hilit=tang#p210546

And a similar thread: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2234&p=8365&hilit=tang#p8365

Best of Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The four screws thread into an aluminum backing plate which is bonded to the under-side of the deck. I believe they are either size #10 or #12 screws. You should be able to take out the screws and drill/tap the backing plate to the next size larger which is 1/4”-20 and then install the larger screws. You will also need to open up the diameter of the holes in the bow tang.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi both many thanks for the replies, really helpful!
will do some investigation and post how I get on
best
Stig