Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I understand that there is a beach access next to the Ramada Inn on Okaloosa Island and I am wondering what the rules of using the access are pertaining to launching a Hobie 16? Is this access available for anyone and everyone to use? Anyone out there from the Ft Walton area on this forum?
I am planning on being in the area soon and was going to try and bring my boat with me, but the condo we stay at, "Destin West", has an HOA that doesn't allow boats or trailers of any sort to be parked on their property, so, I am also looking for adequate storage. I have checked with Adventure Marine and that sounds like the best deal at 1 dollar a foot to store outdoors. We are staying in a beachfront condo and I would Love to be able to leave my boat on the beach overnight, it would only be for one night, but I dont know if that would be allowed and I would really be paranoid about someone messing with the boat also.
Last year we were there in August and I launched at a park on the bay, but this year, if the weather is good, I want to launch from the beach.
Anyway, thanks for any help and guidance on this issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We don’t have an H16, (we had several TI’s), but we have always traveled a lot, we tend to stay anyplace at least a week, and tend to go out daily, most resorts and condos we have stayed at allow us to beach our TI overnight, (many have rental cats and kayaks on their beach), we just ask. We also quite often just park our boat just offshore, either anchored or tied to a mooring ball over night, nobody typically messes with anything, but we take any valuables and mirage drives, paddles, etc with us. Also a lot of resorts have boat harbors and docks, most have a small sandy area off to the side, (for dingys), most allow us to park our TI in that sandy beach area, (not at the docks) overnight. Actually some resorts have free docks for their guests, If your there, and there are docks available, some allow you to park overnight at their docks for free, doesn’t hurt to ask, (especially in the keys, where we spent most of our time, ( out of season,,(summertime)). Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Beach cats pulled up above the high water mark at many beaches overnight is a pretty common site over here on the west coast further south. I would imagine this time of year is also off season ( kinda dead) up there.
Our insurance agent strongly suggested we title and register our boats, if it’s stolen, it’s a felony, (same as grand theft auto), plus it’s insured. Heck around here we have seen several sea planes parked overnight up above the high tide mark.
FE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes it's still the off season and I would be down there Mother's Day weekend so hopefully it won't be crowded yet. There is a rental operation on the beach at the condo and they set up beach chairs and rent Sea Doos and paddle boards, I was thinking of seeing about leaving the boat up near their locked boxes overnight, it would only be 1 night. My boat does have registration also, and I would be sure to not leave anything on it that could potentially walk away. The condo we stay at does have some docks but they are in the bay and I am wanting to launch at the beach, and our condo is, in fact, on the beach side. If anything, I could probably just put the boat back on the trailer with the mast up at the end of the day and leave it parked in the parking lot of the Ramada which is right next door to where I would be. Anyway, thanks for your response, looks like I need to make some phone calls over the next week and get a plan in the works.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A little further west from the Ramada is a public beach access:

https://goo.gl/maps/KfUgZXCdE582

I have walked a kayak down to the beach from there before. I would suggest this spot over the one by the Ramada.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I looked at it on Google Earth and I dont think the access is wide enough for a Hobie Cat, but I may check it out when I am there. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HobieMarty wrote:
I looked at it on Google Earth and I dont think the access is wide enough for a Hobie Cat, but I may check it out when I am there. Thanks.

Hey Marty - How did that turn out? Were you able to launch from the beach access? I'm hoping to drag my H14 down to the coast at least once this coming summer and curious if you were successful in finding a place nearby for launching into the Gulf as opposed to the ICW/bays. Any info from others in the Ft Walton area appreciated! 8)