Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi every one, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking to get a Hobie! I want to come here first, to you guys, to gather some data about "where" I plan on sailing. I live in NC, near the coast. My plans are to sail a lot around New bern, Morehead, Oriental, Kitty Hawk, the sounds, the rivers, the outer banks, the inner banks, pretty much everywhere in NC with salt water and maybe some big fresh water rivers. I want to camp on Lookout, Hatteras, Portsmouth, Ocracoke, and Shackleford Bank. Possibly even sail up and down the outer banks once I feel comfortable one day. My question is to the guys who frequently sail in these areas or have previously, what can I expect? What are the average conditions? The extreme conditions? Are there any places to avoid?

I've never sailed. I'm pretty small dude 5'6, 130 lbs athletic, in good shape. Not scared of a challenge. Love learning. Not scared to solo. If you have any valuable info I would hope you sharing with me comes back to you ten fold. I'm also hoping this will help me narrow down my options of which Hobie buy as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check out Lake Waccamaw sailing club on Facebook. They have a monthly race and are super nice people. I sailed with them for the first time 2 weeks ago, it was awesome.

Also, check Sail Carteret on Facebook. They sail out of the Morehead area. This year they had 3 or 4 events. One of these events is called Cats on the Cape, this is a fun event. We sail from Morehead to Cape Lookout. I think there was 11 or 12 boats 2 years ago. Mostly Hobie 16's and 18's but a Prindle 16 and Nacra too.

I sail in the Pamlico river a lot also. This is the closest place for me to sail. On a good southwest wind you can sail for miles without tacking. To my knowledge there is no groups or clubs sailing here, but it is not uncommon to see a Hobie Cat out there.

I've been talking to a couple of guys in New Bern, something cool might be starting up there next year. We just have to wait and see. Maybe mast up storage. I trailer every time I sail and it gets old after 8 years.

If you are going to sail mostly at the coast, I recommend getting a boat without dagger boards. There are a lot of sandbars and shallow places in this area. I just upgraded to a Hobie 18 this year and hit a sandbar hard while going upwind in Morehead. I thought I destroyed my boat, luckily it was fine. I think kick up style center boards would be fine but I have no experience with them. The perfect boat in the area IMO is Hobie 16 unless you plan on sailing mostly in the rivers.

Hope this helps.

Keith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The ocean conditions change a lot and pretty rapidly. Could be a lot of hassle getting the boat on the beach, and getting out through big surf is not recommend for rookies, and much easier with two people than one. If you DO want to try and have the right weather, I'd go to Jenette's Pier in Nags Head early in the AM; they were ok with launching out of their parking lot (early in the AM, and moving the trailer ASAP); no dune there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What did you end up doing? Did you get a cat and are sailing it now? I'm in Rodanthe (OBX) for the upcoming week with my H16 and the wind is good for the next few days.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go to the new KOA on Currituck Bay. While there is only one ramp, with typical southerlies and land shadow, I sailed my H17S out of the ramp and back to it for days, all day.

I left the boat floating in the corner tied with two lines to the bulkhead wall and walking dock

Outstanding situation and a great area to rig