Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey southern WI, northern IL sailors, I need to get to a bigger lake. I've been at Pierce Lake over at Rock Cut State Park and we have outgrown it. The closest southern WI lakes to me would be Delevan or Geneva. If somebody could PM me or shoot me an email so we could have a conversation I'd be grateful. We need deeper water so we can learn how to capsize and right the boat. We need some steadier winds as compared to the oddball stuff we get at Rock Cut. We need a bigger lake so we don't have to tack every time we get to speed.

The family and I took the canoes/kayaks to Delevan some years ago. I don't remember it well, and the kayak launch area is different from the boat launch anyway. I've not been on any of the other lakes.

Thanks,
Bryan

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waiex191 wrote:
Hey southern WI, northern IL sailors, I need to get to a bigger lake. I've been at Pierce Lake over at Rock Cut State Park and we have outgrown it. The closest southern WI lakes to me would be Delevan or Geneva. If somebody could PM me or shoot me an email so we could have a conversation I'd be grateful. We need deeper water so we can learn how to capsize and right the boat. We need some steadier winds as compared to the oddball stuff we get at Rock Cut. We need a bigger lake so we don't have to tack every time we get to speed.

The family and I took the canoes/kayaks to Delevan some years ago. I don't remember it well, and the kayak launch area is different from the boat launch anyway. I've not been on any of the other lakes.

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi Bryan, I live in Rockford.
I usually sail on Lake Mendota in Madison, but in the past, often on Lake Monona. I sailed on Kegonsa and Waubesa in the past, too, but don't like them as well. You buy a Dane County launch permit, I thinks its $35 for the year, for the Madison Lakes.
Lake Geneva is good, put in at Williams Bay. I think it's about a $11 daily launch fee. I have sailed Delevan in the past, but the channel to get out was a pain, but now I have a motor. I'll have to revisit it.
Lately, I've been sailing with my neighbor John and friend Bart on Lake Koshkonong. Big lake, not far away. We put in on the north side. I'll have to ask John for directions because I just followed him there. I think it's a $6 fee.
I also sail on Lauderdale Lake every year or so, because we had a cabin there when I was growing up. Small, 3 lake chain. Sort of fun but it's like 3 pierce lakes chained together.
Lake Michigan is fun. You can put in at Wilmette, or I put in at Burham Harbor so I can sail in front of the Loop. Very pretty. about 1/2 mile long channel south out of the harbor, so with no motor you'd be paddling in or out.
I've never sailed on the lakes in north eastern Illinois, around Antioch. Seems like they are motor oriented, I don't know how good they are for sailing.
I'll message you with my contact information.
Bob

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob! I haven't seen you or John out on Pierce lake this season and was hoping to run into you.

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We took a motorcycle ride to Delevan and Geneva. The Delevan launch sucks. You have to get out a narrow channel which is oriented close to the prevailing winds. Not enough room to tack. There is a little shoreline where you can raise your sails, but it is mucky and a little rocky. The lake itself looks nice and there was a monohull race going on.

Williams Bay at Geneva looked great. There is a dirt lot about 1/8 mile west of the boat launch where you step the mast. It's on the north side of the road, as the lake is on the south side. After launching the boat you paddle east to a little beach and you can raise your sails there. We met a couple of guys who launched their H18, and they put up their sails for the 1/8 mile drive to the launch.

Hey Bob, if you are reading this, I PMed you a while ago for contact info. We didn't sail today because we discovered a hole in the bottom of our starboard hull. Prior owner repaired a big hole with bondo - that didn't last and megagallons came out of the drain plug after. We took it off for repairs, and the starboard hull was 128 lbs. The other hull was 101 lbs, and the leftover starboard hull was 85 lbs. We are about to have a true frankencat!

1978 Hobie 16