Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NV - Lake Mohave, Nevada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the Southern Colorodo River system, between Lake Mead (near Las Vegas) and Lake Havasu (on Calif/Ariz border) lies the wind paradise of Lake Mohave. It is a remote destination, primitive in many ways, but not devoid of sufficient ammenities to make a visit in winter a real treat to any avid Hobie sailor.

It is an inland isthmus, with all the microclimate characteristics that any Isthmus creates. At about 600 ft above sea level, it is flanked both east and west by ridges and plateaus that are at a minimum, 2500 ft above sea level extending for hundreds of miles each direction. This means that any frontal weather system must funnel into this lake at primarily SE or NW directions. Also, the gentle slopes that surround the lake provide serious thermal activity when the sun is out (95% of days). It has long been a well kept 'secret spot' for wind surfers and kite boarders.

I've been using 6 Mile Cove (about 2 mile south of Cottonwood Cove Resort) to sail and train for Hobie racing for several years. The fareness of the wind is breathtaking at times, providing the ability to fly a hull for miles at a time, without dropping to the water, even in 15+ SE winds and a steady 3' swell. NW winds from this location are flat water and very exhilirating. 6 Mile Cove has 3 permanent NPS bathrooms and free camping. I would say the two best times to be there are Feb thru April or late September thru November. Look it up in the Lake Mead National Recreation area.

Clear, clean water. Warm climate, sunshine nearly everyday. Fare winds and a great 'sugarsand' beach. We are hoping to someday get the park service to set it apart as an exclusive 'Sail Only Beach'. Right now, summertime is bad as the place seems overrun by an undesirable crowd, and also it is very hot (often 115 degrees).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lake Mohave is worth a visit for sure. I remember a nice sandy and secluded beach north of Cottonwood cove a piece on the right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

lake mojave is awesome and so is 6 mile cove. I took my first trip there in march. Didnt get great wind but it was a cool place.... But shhh! keep it a secret :o

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!