Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY - Finger Lakes Region
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a beautiful area with several 30+ mile long lakes that average 1 to 5 miles in width so you can go a long way, but not feel that you are out range of help if you need it. There are no reefs or rocks for the most part so you don't need to worry too much about navigation skills. Cayuga and Seneca have many areas below cliffs that are not accessible except by water for nice private picnics.

Unfortunately the season is VERY short if you have an aversion to cold water. The best sailing is mid-July to mid-October. Sailing in the fall is especially rewarding with the foliage in full bloom, warm constant breezes, warmer water (high 60's), and only a few fisherman sharing the the lake - no summer visitors or $%^ jet skis.

Oh yeah - we are a recognized appelation' for wines. That means great wines and about a zillion wineries to choose from. Red Zeppelin or Red Cat are winners for a fun day of sailing without any wine-snobbery. :wink:

I love where I live - come up and visit sometime.

http://www.visitfingerlakes.com/

Post subject: Same but different
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was there last year and you know that Upstate and Iowa look exactly the same? I am not kidding either, I thought that it would be worlds different but no. And the people in N, Syracuse were VERY nice, we really felt at home there.
Hope to make it back someday. We were there for 16/14s last year. Your turn to come to the 18/20s in Iowa this year!
8)

Post subject: Thanks for the response
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah it's funny but most people think of NY City when they think of NY and most of NY is really rural. Thanks for the invitation and the nice comments. Syracuse is a nice town and the venue for the 16/14s was really nice. I came up for a while on that rainy Friday morning but I only had time to poke my head to recapture some of the feelings and images that I recall from my racing days.

Have a great day Xander...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little history of the area. This is a beautiful site. It has maps and it recounts the Native American History of the area very nicely.

http://www.fingerlakes.com/index.htm