Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm interested in getting back into sailing and I've been looking at hobies. I sailed cats when I was in high school, and I love the speed. Back then I was in Tampa Bay and you could just back a trailer into the water at the beach along the causeway.

Now I live in West Palm, and I am not sure of any beaches near me (except Lauderdale, which isn't near me) allow beach launch. I could use a boat ramp along the intercostal, but I can't imagine trying to beat through the narrow ICW passes in Palm Beach County.

Any Catters around here care to comment on launching around here? I would mostly sail single handed, so its got to be easy to get on the water or it just won't happen.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I now live in West Palm Beach...Im from Ft Walton beach..
I used to race cats up there ( Hobie's, Tornado's, Prindle's, Nacra's)
I dont have a boat any more but im looking.
I have heard Ft pierce is a good spot or miami is great ..but far
If you need a mate let me know Tom 561-262-7122

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When we leave the frozen Canadian north, and vacation in sunny Florida, we have rented beach cats in Hollywood, Pompano, Naples, Clearwater, Hutchison Island and Delray. From what I can see, most folks check out where the other cat sailors hang out, park there and launch. There are the usual problems when the surf is up, but expect you are used to that. Some places might want a fee, for example, all the cats I saw on the beach at Delray carried a municipal sticker as a sort of a 'beach boat parking permit.'

Why not go on the net, and check out the local Hobie Fleet and local Hobie Dealers. Maybe they can help, especially in terms of local conditions and hazards to navigation. Check out what local (little boat) sailing clubs do - often they will let you park there and launch from there. Might cost you a beer.

Good winds