Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not see this listed so I thought I would chime in.

There are two beach ramps to launch from. They are not free but the sailing is usually great! The ramps are on Ocean Blvd. One at Claremont and one at Granada.

I sail out of the Yacht Club up the street, ABYC. Easy to sail out the inlet of the bay to the ocean.

The wind is very consistant. 90% of the time, in Spring and Summer, the wind will come in about noon. By three it will be blowing between 14 and 18 average. Wind direction will be about 215 degrees. You can choose to stay in the more sheltered area inside the breakwater or get some 4 to 6 foot swells outside the breakwater. The wiind seems to be a bit more on the outside, as well. In front of Seal Beach is a good place to practice for bumpy conditions. Just about all the conditions you need unless you like light winds, we only get those occassionally.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,

I've been sailing for about a year and I launch out of Claremont all the time but exactly where is Granada? I'm quite satisfied with Claremont but would like to explore my options, if I have any. By the way, I disagree with you about the ease of getting out of the inlet at Alamitos. Had to go too close to the rocks to get to my starboard tact. That was scarie but it was fun inside the bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David:

You can see the Granada ramp from the Claremont Ramp. It is about four blocks up the street toward downtown.

Sorry about your experience with the inlet. Maybe because everytime I sail I go out that it does not seem like much to me. I will be more careful about what I say about it in the future.

By the way you are not missing anything at Granada, it is almost exactly the same as the Claremont Ramp except JetSkis lauch off that ramp and hardly ever at the Claremont one.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,

Will be at Claremont this week-end. Maybe I'll see you there.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David:

On most weekends I am sailing out of the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club. If you go down for a sail and want to look me up you can go to the office and have me paged. They may know if I am on the premises as I usually find out what I need to take care of there. I am on the board of directors.

My boat is in the last aisle with all the other catamarans. If you see a Tiger there, Diamond Girl, then I am not sailing.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,

Will be sailing this Saturday launching from Claremont. Will stop by the ABYC office to see if I see you. If you're already on the water, I'll be looking for you. I usually sail down past Seal to Huntington or Newport but who knows. If you see a white H16, Sciatica, on the water, that's me.

See ya,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David:

This coming weekend, April 1 -2, I am in charge of the Olympic Classes regatta sailing out of ABYC. I will be there or on the water helping out with the racing. I will look for you.

Later,
Dan