Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ya gotta be an addict to sail here!

Weather is cool to cold wih just enough warm to tease ya!

We have an enormous fresh water resevoir that feeds the world's largest underground hydroelectric powerplant, where I happen to work.

Have been sailing here for a few years and miss racing desperately or for that matter having a sailing companion.

I used to sail and race windsurfers in St. John's Newfoundland.

Hobie Cats are so much more comfortable and easy almost as fast as windsurfers, but in an easy chair!!!

I have a 14 but will probably upgrade so I can take my wife or friends.

As far as the cool temperatures, I wear a Mustang MS195 survival suit with sealed wrist cuffs. Perfectly warm and cozy! I mostly sail out to my partly built cottage.

If you're in the neighbourhood, just ask anyone in town for the guy with the sailboat. I go by several names, usually including some version of the word "Crazy".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Alan;
Nice to hear that a fellow Canuck loves sailing as much as I do. Wondering where you got the survival suit and what did it cost? I have been limiting my sailing to the warm summer months, but now I want to sail until freeze up. My 23 year old H16 is begging to be used...

Tim from BC!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Tim

I got it at a Marine supply store in St. John's Nfld. The store is Campbell's Ship's Supplies, box 274 St. John's A1C5J2

[email protected]
www.campbellsshipsupplies.com

It's made by Mustang (Mustang Survival 3810 Jacombs Road, Richmond B.C. 604 270 8631 [email protected]) lists at 399 and I got it for 319 (Canadian obviously) There are other brands but these are good quality.

It's like a snowmobile suit, except more lightweight, sealed with neoprene wrist cuffs, head cover that seals nicely and it of course has flotation so you end up head and shoulders up, if you go in the drink. It has lots of reflective tape, and most important it is comfortable and easy to put on and take off.

It is very warm, although we have had a warm fall so I can't say what it's truly like.

It looks a bit bulky, but when you have it on, it tightens up with some straps in the waist and the legs. It's important to tighten these straps as it pushes out air so you float head up.

It's not a neoprene wesuit. They are what we used to wear windsurfing in my misspent youth. They are restrictive, damp uncomfortable, etc..

Having said this you can get less expensive ones that will probably do a good job, however I am 50 and the idea of freezing in the water to save some moolah is not in the cards. I want my wife to see that I have a few clues.

For gloves I tried my windsurfing gloves but they had no grip so I got some of the cheap yellow/orange thin work gloves with some plastic sprayed on to give grip. Check out windsurf or dive shops for warmer gloves.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Alan

PS My friends and I used to do a windsurfing afternoon on New Years Day in the Atlantic off of St. John's Newfoundland every year.