Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all. Recently purchased H16. We took it out on Rollins Lake yesterday, but found little wind. I learned this is common until late evening. We live in Colfax, CA (I80 1/2 way between Sacto and Tahoe). I'm wondering where people in this area are sailing. Where can I find more wind than what's in my lungs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lake Folsom is a great lake to sail on. Some times more wind than you need. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie18906- where do you put in on Lake Folsom? Also, are there good beaches there? We have an 18 and are looking for a good lake that is relatively close to the Bay Area.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dfoster - have you tried lexington resevoir off hwy 17 just out of Los Gatos? I've read others that like this spot for its wind and water temp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.myfolsom.com/folsomlake.shtml
I found some boat ramps, but no beaches yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check folsom and lexington. We're thinking of heading to Woodward this weekend. Anyone else heading out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like sailing out of Brown's Ravine at Folsom lake. They even have a cove called Hobie cove. It's an easy place to launch and retrieve.

In the summer time the wind is mainly non existent, but occasionally gets up to 8MPH. Really not a sailing lake in the summer. Spring and fall there are good winds, but again are never really consistent. You can check out the marina at Brown's Ravine here: http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/

I too am still looking for a lake nearby that has decent wind. Clearlake is nice but is three or so hours away. I've heard Union Reservoir is nice, but have never been there.

Does any one know of a good place to launch in South Lake Tahoe? I've launched at Cave Rock, but I know there have got to be easier places.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm being told that Rio Vista on the Sacramento River has great wind that can almost always be counted on. Anyone have any experience there?

Post subject: Rio Vista
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Rio Vista has high winds in the late afternoons. I used to windsurf up there. Between about 4 and dark it can be smokin! Hot dry and windy.

I am sure there are windusrf windmeters online for the area.

http://www.rvwa.com/info.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Totally take the lexington ride. best experiences ever were there. Better than anything on the ocean. No waves ever, but often high winds come in over the hills, and manage to keep the water smooth while blowing 20+. Its crazy man. looks like ads in magazines where cats a re flying hulls on crystal clear, flat as ice lakes. the only waves are the ones you make, and they get big

too bad right now theyre replacing a giant pipe down the center of it. cuts the reservoir in half.

anyway, ill be there tomorrow and sunday with my new 14T "The Yeti". between 2:30 to dusk is the best.

have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

worldinchaos wrote:
Totally take the lexington ride. best experiences ever were there. Better than anything on the ocean. No waves ever, but often high winds come in over the hills, and manage to keep the water smooth while blowing 20+. Its crazy man. looks like ads in magazines where cats a re flying hulls on crystal clear, flat as ice lakes. the only waves are the ones you make, and they get big

I finally get a 3 day weekend next week. I may have to take the 16 down to Lexington. Sounds just too good not to make the trip. That, and my parents live in the Bay Area making lodging just a little too easy. I saw the pipe replacement going on while returning from Capitola with our "new to us" hobie a few weeks back. We were wondering what that was all about. Thanks for filling in the gap.
Rio Vista is sounding pretty interesting too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

well make sure to check wind conditions online before that. generally if you average the santa cruz area and san jose area conditions you can get pretty accurate reports for lexington. for the last month or so, every time i go has been incredible, but in the beginning of the summer, wind was horrible everywhere, and i was lying on that crossbar and paddling like no other. ya so not to ruin any hopes, but just dodnt want you to hate me in case win starts dying down now. but im going both weekends so ill see you sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Peter,
Roger that. Thanks for the wind calcs. I'll be sure to check it out prior to making the trip. If it's forecast to be light, Rio Vista or Tahoe will get the nod. We're trying out Donner this Sunday. I'll let everyone know how that turns out. We're still learning the catamaran so be prepared for a comedy of errors. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Thanks for the RVWA site. Great info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great fun at Donner. No big winds, but we did have consistent 5-8 kts. It was perfect for my son's first sailing lesson (he's 16). We gybed down the lake and tacked back up. Had a fabulous time. Pizza and an ice cold Tahoe Red Ale made for a perfect day... despite leaving my dollies at the boat ramp. :(