Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

New Hobie 16 sailor here. It seems like finding a nice place to set up and launch can go a lonnnng way toward providing an enjoyable day of sailing (especially if you're trailering as I will be). I've searched the forums and found a few possibilities, but am still hunting for that perfect spot where I can put in and then pull up on a nice little sandy beach and raise the sails. Most of the ramps I see are concrete, crowded, and have a dock but no beach.

So, this isn't really a specific "Where do you sail in SE North Carolina?" question (although feel free to chime in), but more of a "How do you look for a place to sail?" Google Maps seems like a great resource. As an example, I found the following area around Cape Carteret by looking at the satellite view. What do you think, if there's enough room on the other side of those power lines, it might work. Then of course, there's the question of if it's someone's yard, do they care, is OK to leave your car parked there...........

https://flic.kr/p/u1B75H

https://flic.kr/p/u1sLYX

Any other tips (aside from asking around) for finding places to setup and launch? Things to consider?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in the same situation here in savannah. Boat ramps but none that are ideal. Even once in the water getting to open water is slow as the rivers are tight and seems to always be upwind.
As far as the site you have pics for. Drive over there knock on the door and ask politely if you can use and park there.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 53215&z=14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use many different tools to help me determine where to take my TI out.

1) I find the local Kayaking Meetup groups and clubs a good resource. They show the different trips they are taking.
My thinking is if the kayakers are going, even though they might not be sailing, it is probably a good site. The most likely are not going where there is a lot of traffic from motor boats.

2) Once I narrow some locations down, I look at the map satellite views to see about the area as you have done.

3) I use an application called wind finder. You can download it to your phone or device. It shows the forecast for wind, direction, speed, weather and tide information. I have found this very useful in planning my trips.

4) I also use www.waterwayguide.com . This shows me the nautical maps for the area and shows the water depth. I can also do screen prints of the areas and take with me.

5) Check the Stating Boating sites for North Carolina
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating.aspx looks like it has information on boating.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ThanksHobart,

I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

shadow wrote:
I'm in the same situation here in savannah. Boat ramps but none that are ideal. Even once in the water getting to open water is slow as the rivers are tight and seems to always be upwind.
As far as the site you have pics for. Drive over there knock on the door and ask politely if you can use and park there.
Good luck.

Shadow,

I lived in St Simons Island & In Savannah for a while.
St Simons is a bit of a drive, but the Surf Sailors compound is a great place to leave your boat fully rigged if you get frustrated enough with trailer sailing around Savannah.

I would kill to have a set up near me like they have on St Simons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ogre_fl wrote:

Shadow,

I lived in St Simons Island & In Savannah for a while.
St Simons is a bit of a drive, but the Surf Sailors compound is a great place to leave your boat fully rigged if you get frustrated enough with trailer sailing around Savannah.

I would kill to have a set up near me like they have on St Simons.

Thanks ill have to look into that.