Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Moreton Island Camp - January 2016

This was my 2nd camping sail to Moreton Island on the H16 and whilst my organisation was rather impromptu the experience was wonderfully spectacular. Meeting up with Dave at Raby Bay we began the task of rigging out H16's and packing everything we needed for the trip upon our trampolines. Watching the flags @ VMR it was evident that the winds favored us for a nice downwind leg to start. Once out in the bay just north of Peel Island the winds dropped around 3-5kts seeing us both attempting to maximise as much speed out of our cats as we could. This was often hampered as the sandy bottom and clear blue water showed us everything from large herds of Dugong to giant turtles, stingrays and Shovel Nose sharkes dashing under our hulls. The winds soon changed to a nice easterly which saw us both jumping out on trapeze where we played dodge the turtle. I've never seen so many giant marine turtles and bumped several with my rudders as they never heard our approach until we were flying over the top of them. We stopped at the sand hills for a quick photo and continued heading north to the Tangalooma wrecks. The wrecks in their new state for me were still a sight to see and the crystal clear waters and sunlit sky make the area extremely popular. The waters were littered with snorkelers and the beach filled with 4 wheel drives waiting for the ferry. Dave and I then returned south where we setup camp in the same location as our first Moreton Camp last year, several hundred metres south from Tangalooma Point. Once setup we enjoyed an entire afternoon of relaxing, sleeping, swimming and just talking whilst the sun set. On dusk Dave and I found ourselves running down the beach to join a pod of Dolphins swimming close to shore. Unfortunately they didn't let us get very close and my undewater GoPro didn't get close enough for some nice footage.
A fire kept us company as we enjoyed our hiking meals and sugar snacks well into the night as we could see the lights of Brisbane as though they were close enough to touch.
After a great nights sleep we awoke to a very high tide making the start of our return leg alittle easier not having to drag our cats to the water.
Unfortunately the skies were alittle overcast and the winds were blowing white caps across the bay, but Dave and I were both determined to successfully travel back across the bay. So in one large upwind run on the blowing S/E (20kts+) we flew on trapeze through some huge swell to make our first tack in front of Mud Island near the Port of Brisbane. From here we made several more tacks around St Helena, Green Island and Wellington Point where upon different journeys a gap formed between us of around 3-400 metres. This doesn't seem like much but on the bay it looks as thou we're miles apart. On our last tack into Raby Bay we again were sailing side by side as we finished to the beach thinking 'we made it' in one piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Video here too for anybody interested -
https://youtu.be/g3ikjoQSePs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Achingly beautiful photos, stirring Hobie Cat action shots, next best thing to being there.

Thanks,
Desk-Bound, Canberra.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cheers Lead Belly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is attached to your dolphin striker under that 16? More info please. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great photos & video. Can you tell us a little about how you mounted your GoPro camera when you were sailing solo?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bill that's my righting pole tucked up under the trampoline and attached to the dolphin striker. It work's really well as I solo my H16 90% of the time.

Richard the GoPro for this trip is mounted to the underside of the boom. I'm not happy with its exact position thou as it got in the way when tacking/gibing. I need it move it closer to the mast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for sharing, Matt15. I've mounted my GoPro camera on the 10 hole adjuster between the forestay and bridle wires. I've gotten great videos and photos, but the problem is that it's the original camera and it has no capability for remote control. I'd like to have it mounted where I can access it more easily so I can turn it off & on and also change the settings. I like your idea of mounting it on the underside of the boom, closer to the mast. I'll have to adjust the mounting of the camera each time I change sides, but that should only take a few seconds.
Thanks, again, for sharing your tip and for posting such great photos and video of your trip.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your welcome Richard. The boom mount certainly helps to assist access when you don't have a remote. I used my remote today with the GP mounted at the bridal, it also works great at the top of a mast but without the wifi remote your battery life is terribly short.