Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just wanted to voice my opine about Benicia and Carquinez Strait sailing. IMO one of the better tests of seamanship. In the summer, lots of wind, lots of current, wind shifts in spots; shallow in spots along the shore. Of course, It's like the back of my hand since I sail here weekly and have been doing so for a decade or more. From bridge to bridge it is about 10 miles, from shore to shore it is about a half mile on average. Gets choppy with ebb current. Wind is west in the 15-25 range most summer days and courses are mostly windward leeward. Two launch ramps--no beaches, tho. One launch ramp is hard to get out of the marina from without a motor since the wind will be on your nose after you launch and there is a narrow seaway to get out of the marina. I use a motor. Water is cold in summer and because of the current, not a good place to turtle the boat.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SF Bay is an awesome place to sail. Lots of wind and current...however, a hobie cat is probably not enough boat unless you reef. The slot is typically 20-35 kts (slot is from Alcatraz to Angel Islands) most summer afternoons. There is a monster that lives beneath the South Tower of the Golden Gate--honest I swear, many boats capsize there--even big boats with lead keels (plus one 24 foot trimaran--not mine thankfully). Again, no beaches so you have to use a launch ramp to sail there. I'll probably take my Getaway out there and launch from Berkeley marina this summer (my Getaway reefs).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II