Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Sherman Island
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bay Area and Sacramento folks! Has anyone ever gone out to sail at Sherman island or the delta in general. Looks like the wind is just bananas there and I had never heard of this place. I’m mulling a trip down there. Based on some google searches it is all about kiteboarding and windsurfing. Does anyone have any local knowledge on it. My main concerns are as follows: congestion on the water as I’ve heard the can be many tens of boarders out there at any one time, also what is the best place to rig and put in, any concern about shallows, and lastly as this maybe applies most to the delta whats the likelyhood of getting stuck in endless tacking going up one of the shipping channels.

Post subject: Re: CA - Sherman Island
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Little late to the party here...

Sherman Island area is fantastic for sailing hobies.
I have been sailing out of Sandy Beach County Park in Rio Vista for years. I think I have only had 1 slow/no wind day ever there.
Based on the fact that there is a giant wind farm a couple of miles away, you know that the wind blows there a lot.

Post subject: Re: CA - Sherman Island
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK I finally headed down and tried out sailing on the delta. Great wind. First time trapping out. We we unsure of how to put in so we turned off at the first exit with a boat launch sign on the way to sherman Island. On my right I saw a prindle running up and down the Sacramento river. I turned left and launched at Brannan Island State Rec Area. What I soon realized sailing up the channel I wouldn't be able to get through the drawbridge to sail on the Sacramento River. I decided to head south and got spit out onto a slough and shipping channel and had a great time on the water tacking up to the Antioch Bridge. I think next time I'll do what you did and put in at Sandy Beach County Park. Launch Fees are lower than the 18 I paid and I'd have a better time zooming up and down the Sacramento River.